5 | Picture To Burn

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

My alarm clock startles me out of bed, a loud groan sounding from my chapped lips.

I was having a wonderful dream, only to have it interrupted by the nightmare that is my life.

It was almost ten in the morning, me and Caleb were up most of last night talking. We begged and begged to stay in each others room, however my parents said no as it was my first night and we had an early flight.

He was furious, claiming he'd let me sleep and wouldn't dare wake me. Alas, his car efforts were in vain as we were split for the night.

Much to my dismay, my Dad wants to spend the next couple days 'chilling' as a family. In other words I'll be spending my next week with four boys who seem to despise me, with no escape.

Lovely.

Groggily, I step out of my bed and in front of my mirror, wincing at the sight of my puffy morning eyes.

I really do hate myself, I hate the way my hair falls beside my face and my lips slightly turn downwards.

I hate waking up and looking in the mirror to see my least favourite person staring back.

From the way my chest rises and falls when I breathe, to the buried emotions I've been too lost to confront, I can't stand any part of me.

I'm also afraid.

I'm afraid the girl I see isn't the truth and that I've forgotten who I am.

I'm afraid nothing will ever be enough to make me feel normal, whole.

From the way I can barely contain my shame, to the nightmares that come alive in my head at night. I wish I had the courage to accept myself.

I felt like a princess before I left, royalty ready to face anything thrown my way.

My brothers were my kings, guiding me and protecting me through every aspect in life.

I'm sure in the end it wasn't even helpful, it reduced my social skills completely and left me helpless without them.

I left at the age of eight, unable to tie my own laces or make my own friends.

It sounds pathetic now I think about it but what my brothers taught me was all I knew, when they were always round to do those small things for me it was useless learning them myself.

Suddenly my thoughts are interrupted by a harsh knocking on my door, indicating it was one of my less enthusiastic brothers.

You'll survive. I tell myself unsurely as I sludge over to open the door. God, this should be fun.

Expecting to see Jayden as I hadn't talked to the other three, I'm a little startled when I see a slightly shorter, much younger boy behind the oak frame.