1: New Beginnings

Warnings: None in this chapter!

This is one long ass first chapter. There will mainly be introductions to how this world works and beginnings of the story, so it is sorta like a prologue??i guess.

Reminder that nobody is dead, yet some things stick to canon, like devil fruit powers. How? You'll see :))))

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

—————

Luffy opened his eyes and brightly jumped out his bed, loudly exclaiming about how well he slept. The summer air was wafting through his open window, spilling into every inch of the dorm room, bright and light and oh so cheery as it always is.

"Morning, Lu." Sabo grinned, having woken up just mere minutes before. He was polishing his metal wand - it's a fucking pipe, Ace had always snorted - and examining it closely. Ace, who was also awake but did not want to be, just glared at his little brother from under his blanket as a way of greeting. He had thrown the blanket over his head to block out the sun. It did not help.

Luffy, Ace, and Sabo all lived in the same room in the East wing of the dormitory building. They haven't been together their entire lives, obviously: children get a place to stay in Grandline Uni when they're born, but it only becomes completely mandatory to attend at twelve years of age. Or you can go earlier, by choice. Two of the three brothers, Ace and Luffy, had been in the school since they were born, as they didn't have normal caretakers. Dadan, one of the groundskeepers, and Makino, a lunch lady, were their only parental figures. They only met each other when Luffy was seven: Ace was brought from the South wing. Sabo joined shortly after — he was Muggleborn — and meeting the two black-haired boys turned him into a bigger rebel than he originally was.

The room was like an ordinary dorm room. A door to the bathroom and three separate beds, although with how clingy Luffy is to his brothers, they never stay separate for long. The walls were decorated from horrible hand-drawn pictures (Luffy), to diagrams of spells and theories (Sabo), to taken pictures of the sky, the trees, and the sea (Ace). They all had their little hobbies and trinkets covering the entire room. They did not mind invading each others space.

Luffy chuckled lightly at the sight of his eldest brother still hiding under the blankets. "Sabo, I'm hungry!" he exclaimed like usual.

"Let's go to Makino then. Or do you want me to make something?" Sabo replied. "Ace, get up!" he then turned to say, pointing his wand at the blanket covering Ace. The blanket floated upwards and hung in the air, leaving a grumpy and now angry Ace to hug himself because of the suddenness. Luffy laughed again and scrambled the room as Ace threw a blast of fire in his direction.

He banged the door of the room and skipped down the hallway to the stairs, already having memorized the way to the cafeteria but not to any of his classes. That's Nami's job. And she's good at it too. Luffy has no idea how she does it.

The sun also shining through the windows of the hallway, but Luffy didn't bother looking through them. They look how they always did in the summer: the vast, unending grass spreading outside, so horribly unkept that if someone jumped out the window they'd either land softly on the taller grass or break a few bones by landing on the rock-hard flat grounds. Further out, barely visible to the human eye, was the forest named the Woodlands, with the tallest of trees and the most treacherous of paths. Students studied Herbology there. Luffy and his brothers had spent all of their free time running in the forest before they all found other friends. If their dorm was in the West, the view would have been of the deep sea that contained the Coral House, the home of the Fishmen. North dorms windows would show the school building, while the South would show the Quidditch training grounds.