biscoe, NC

Inej smoothed out her dress, leading a conquest against any and all wrinkles in her sight. Besides, she absolutely loved the soft and smooth texture of the fabric. It was a nice change from what she'd been wearing while commandeering The Wraith. Those clothes were almost always crusted with leftover salt from the sea spray, and wear and tear ruined any sense of comfort they could've provided. Despite that, Inej felt vulnerable in this dress. It could snag on something and hinder her stealth abilities, and the outfit was wholly impractical. However, Inej was on vacation. She shouldn't be worrying about what was practical. This "business trip" didn't require her spider abilities. Inej didn't even think there were any gains Kaz could acquire from this, which made this trip even more confusing.

Kaz never made a move if it didn't benefit him in some way unless his hand was forced. This clearly wasn't a last-choice situation, so now Inej was trying to see what the boy could possibly be planning. She had been studying him the whole trip south, hoping to spot a break in his resolve that would explain this all. That had all been a waste of her time because Kaz Brekker did not reveal any of his secrets.

"Biscoe!" Jesper announced, his face comically close to the GPS as he read off the name of the place the Crows were currently in. "Still a couple of hours 'til we get there," he added after a pause, then relaxed back.

Matthias and Nina were probably spooning in the back, forgoing their seatbelts. Matthias had declared that he had finally gotten used to car travel and felt well enough to go in the back again. Inej had chosen to give the couple time together, forfeiting her gossip time with Nina selflessly.

Outside the window, the lush, tall, green trees raced by. The sky was overcast with calm, grey clouds. The landscape here especially seemed to blur together, lacking anything new to take notice of. The minivan went under an overpass. The momentary darkness flashed Inej's reflection in the window back at her. She could faintly make out the figure of Kaz behind her, too.

The Wraith turned to observe her companion more clearly. He had his steely gaze set on the passing cars, his cane set off to the side with care. Kaz was displaying his usual coldness, which was no surprise to Inej.

Captain Ghafa,

Seeing that you receive this letter, I request your return to Ketterdam as soon as possible. The prospect of a business trip has come up, and it would be beneficial to have your presence on this trip.

Kaz Brekker

Inej remembered cracking the seal of the envelope, noting how it had been sourced from Wylan's mansion. Perhaps it was either of the lovebirds sending her their best wishes or simply an attempt to keep in touch. The thought warmed Inej's heart, and she rushed to open the letter with anticipation.

She'd been thoroughly confused when she recognized Kaz's scrawl. Why send it from Van Eck's mansion? Had either the Crow Club or the Slat been compromised? Did Kaz need her return? The vagueness of the letter helped her little as Inej read the short letter once, twice, three times.

On the one hand, it could be exactly what the letter was entailing: a business offer had come up for Kaz, and he wanted some familiar company to take along. Maybe Kaz missed her and wanted her back. That he saw her as more than just an investment, but his personal investment.

On the other, Kaz was neck deep in the harbor waters and needed her, desperately, to get him out of trouble, except he couldn't necessarily write that in a letter to maintain his secrets, always with secret plans.

In the end, Inej ordered her first mate to hold down the ship in Ketterdam's harbor while she set off in search of her murder of crows.

Once again, the Wraith took to the Barrel's rooftops, listening and watching for any sign of her beloved friends.