hotel carolina

South Carolina. Home of the pale-sanded beaches and fairs galore. The minivan erupted into cheers (Kaz excluded) as they passed the welcome sign. Soon, the hell that was time spent in close quarters would be over. The only ones who didn't succumb to road trip grumpiness were both Inej and Wylan, though the girl had spotted on several occasions how the boy's eye twitched, likely from anxiety. She took him for a nervous driver. 

Inej was just maintaining her persevering high spirits, and it helped that eventually there was the sight of the ocean peeping in between buildings. South Carolina's shores were so much cleaner than any Ketterdam harbor, likely because these Americans didn't dump bodies into their bays. That was probably because they didn't have some sort of plague that killed scores of citizens.

That teasing wink of blue mixed well with the scent of salt on the slight breeze, which was paired with the screeching gulls, too. This was the sort of beach Inej dreamed about, that proverbs about nature's beauty were about. It was a nice break from the treacherous seas and downright filthy Ketterdam, specifically the Barrel.

In the distance, she could make out a huge ferris wheel. She eyed the height and decided that might be something she went to later during the time spent here. Inej would very much like to be up high without it being for some kind of Wraith-related reason. It'd remind her of her gymnastic era back when she was still living in the Suli caravans with her family before she'd been enslaved. Maybe bittersweet, but things had finally been turning in her favor now. Inej knew damn well she'd make the most of her beautiful life. She wasn't about to let her harsh past ruin her future, too.

Kaz shifted in his seat, which caught Inej's attention for a moment before she looked out his window. It faced the coastline, and she could see how so many hotels and the like lined up at the shore with every intention to make mad profit from tourists and vacationers. A true callback to Ketterdam, if she ever saw one. There must be a big profit to be made from those trying to live the beach life. In a different life, Inej could see Kaz as one of the many attempting to make revenue running a resort on the beach. From the calculating stature of her...(partner? She'd sort that thought out later) whatever, Inej believed he was even thinking about taking a chance at the business. Hell, this trip could truly have been a business trip, if Nina hadn't earlier assured her vehemently that Kaz had had no intention of anything coming out of this vacation other than spending time with his beloved Crows. Nina's words, not Kaz's.

Kaz looked away before he could achieve his full scheming face. "What's the ETA?" he asked, his "acceptable" version of "Are we there yet?"  While Wylan directly asks it, with no whining, Inej should add, Kaz makes it sound more formal and business-like. It was cute how the two resembled each other, though Wylan would always be better in the sense of morals than Kaz. Inej supposed she should be worried about her liking a boy with crap morals, but the world had jaded her just enough that she could forget her faith for a boy she fancied. 

It was quiet, which was concerning. Inej looked at the front seat, her brows raising at the sight of Wylan trying desperately to shake Jesper awake with one hand, while, with the other, managing the evening traffic. It was 3:00 pm, and Inej assumed everyone was driving home from work or something. Or maybe because this was a tourist place it was always this busy. She laughed lightheartedly before leaning forward in her seat and giving Jesper a good shove.

The boy yelped/snorted (Inej couldn't tell which) as his eyes flew open in surprise. "Huh? Wha-?"

"Jesper, I'm pretty sure Wylan needs you for something," Inej prodded him gently, smiling at how silly Jesper acted.

"Oh? Yes, my love?"

Wylan visibly rolled his eyes. "What's it say for the E-"

"Turn right in 100 feet."