New Town New Me

~Kristen~

Deafening music shook the walls as I navigated my way through a sea of bodies, dodging elbows and balancing drinks simultaneously. Eventually, the crowd began to thin as I made my way out of the room. The crushing weight of claustrophobia slowly lifted, much like the vibration in my chest as I got farther away from the dance floor. Soon enough, I found a safe haven as my burning skin met the cool night breeze.

A sigh of relief exited my body, following the deep inhale of fresh air that preceded it. I placed my two drinks on the railing as I stood on a balcony overlooking the highway joined by the dry and mountainous landscape of Southern California. I was supposed to bring the second drink to my friend, but I gave up after 10 minutes of searching.

"If she really wanted that drink, she'd be easier to find." I justified, mumbling to myself as I leaned on the stone railing.

"Then I guess she wouldn't mind if I took it." a female voice said behind me, making me jump and face her.

My eyes scrutinized every inch of her as she casually approached me. Her long, sunkissed legs emerged from her short dress. Her eyes, a dark grey, complimented by a head full of black hair. Her white dress deeply contrasting with my black t-shirt and ripped jeans, much like my light hair against her dark. She stopped in front of me, trapping me between her and the railing. With her warm eyes locked on my cool ones, she reached for the cup behind me. I watched her red painted nails slowly pass through my field of view before disappearing behind me, returning moments later with a matching solo cup within their grasp. She took a long sip from the cup before dropping it to the ground, still half full.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I was cut off, "Shhh..." she shushed, placing her red finger against my pale lips. "I like it better when you don't talk." she whispered before replacing her finger with her lips.

Her hands caressed the sides of my face as she kissed me slowly but passionately. I began to reciprocate, but at every attempt to match her tempo, she raised it slightly. Her tongue, once light and teasing, quickly became more aggressive as she took complete control. Her hips pushed me into the railing as her right hand slowly dragged its way down the side of my body before resting on my upper thigh. She lifted it to her hip, holding it against her side.

Cold air hit my cheek as her left hand moved down to rest on my right shoulder. As the kiss began to soften, and my eyes began to flutter open, there was a sudden forceful shove on my shoulder, causing a suction noise as our lips forcefully parted. My stomach sunk as gravity quickly took control. Time slowed for a moment as I watched her look down at me, wiping her lips with her hand. I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came out; the only sound emitting was the sound of the cars below honking in response to my rapid descent. I closed my eyes as the honking only became louder and louder, creating an environment solely of MEEP. MEEP. MEEP. MEEP.

--

MEEP MEEP MEEP

My alarm sounded as I shot up from my bed.

"FUCK!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, hyperventilating as I sat under what was left of my blanket.

"Language!" a muffled yell came from downstairs.

I let out a sigh of relief as I fell back to a lying position. I covered my sweaty face with my hands, replaying the nightmare in my head as my alarm continued to blare.

"Kristen, turn off that damn alarm!" another muffled yell emitted from below me.

I groaned as I reached out and slammed everything on my bedside table with my fist before finally making contact with the alarm. With a groan, I made an effort to get up from bed only to end up tripping on my suitcase, making my nightmare come true for a fraction of a second before my ass made contact with the wood floor. I sat there for a moment, contemplating life before getting up for the rest of the day.