Limits

~Alex~

"I hate Thursdays." I mumbled to myself as I slid into my red letterman jacket before pulling the key out of the ignition. It was the first of many chilly school mornings. Students walking into school in their jackets, only to be walking out at 3 pm with them wrapped around their waist in 80 degree weather. The official start of the transition from summer to fall.

"Lex, wait up!" I heard someone yell behind me.

"What's up, Kenny?" I greeted as she approached me, "Andrew still sick?"

She shook her head, "Nah, he's coming. No way I'm riding with his sick ass though." she joked. Turns out he was actually telling the truth on Monday, and has been fighting a nasty cold for the past 3 days.

"You're saying that as if you haven't been stopping by to check on him every day." I chuckled.

"Pfft, no clue what you're talking about." she denied as we continued walking toward the entrance of the school. "Anyway, what's up? You look tired." she pointed out.

"Just been a long week. Turns out my mom's taking day shifts now, so I've been seeing her more than I'd like." I mumbled.

"Well, I've got good news for you..."

I raised an eyebrow, "Go on."

"My parents are going on their 'second honeymoon' to try and salvage their marriage, meaning I've got the place to myself for the next month or two." she smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "Kendall, your parents have too much money."

"Oh, does this mean you don't wanna stay in the guest bedroom for the next two months, cuz I can easily—"

"Nuh nuh nuh nuh no." I quickly stopped her, "Suddenly, a second honeymoon sounds like a great idea."

"Suck up."

"Love you, Kenny." I grinned giving her a side hug as we walked inside.

--

An Edina Cake Eater, in Minnesotan slang, is typically someone part of a rich white family from Edina who, as you would say, "has their cake and eats it too". Basically meaning, a family so rich they've lost touch with reality and views themselves better than everyone else. But as all stereotypes go, it generally isn't true. Cake Eater quickly turned into a nickname for basically anyone who lives in Edina because, let's face it, if you live in Edina, you're eating some cake every once and a while.

Kendall is a Cake Eater. And for that reason, I was practically shitting my pants when I found out I would be staying at her house for the foreseeable future.

"Bro, these next two months are gonna be so fucking fun." I grinned giddily as I walked into the tutoring classroom with Andrew. Andrew was also deemed a Cake Eater, but he was one of the few who didn't act like it.

"Dude, I knowww. I already got so much shit planned." he chuckled, setting his backpack full of math textbooks on a desk. It was the last tutoring session we'd be hosting for the week, and tomorrow was the first math quiz for all four pre-calculus classes as well as one Calculus AB class, which meant today was gonna be busy.

"Nose goes on the Calc kids, by the way. Ain't no way, I'm touching limits." Andrew joked as he pulled out the pre-calculus book from his bag.

I rolled my eyes, "They aren't even that hard. You're just shit at teaching them."

He pointed to me, "Exactly."

Moments later, our first set of students entered, none of them looking older than 14.