Top Prospect

~Alex~

I yawned into my hand as I stood in the lunch line with Andrew and Kendall.

"What's got you yawning?" Kendall asked.

"She probably went to bed at 10 instead of 9 or something." Andrew teased, taking a bite out of his chicken nugget.

I rolled my eyes, "Aiden was just a pain in the ass last night, so I couldn't start my homework until later."

"What happened this time?" Kendall asked as she gave the lunch lady her tray.

"He threw a tantrum over his pizza being cut the wrong way? Or maybe it was because he didn't want pepperoni?" I furrowed my eyebrows, still confused over what he was upset about. "Either way, he decided to cry instead of telling me what was wrong. Then he refused to go to bed until like 10:30." I sighed as we began to walk to the lunch table.

"Yeesh, remind me not to become a high school mom." Andrew replied.

Kendall rolled her eyes, "You do realize you can't carry a child, right?"

"Okay, but would I not be the mom in the relationship?" He pushed.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I don't think I even want to know what you're trying to say." I replied, placing my tray on the table which consisted of Cole and some other friends.

"No, I agree." Cole cut in, "Drew's baby mama would definitely wear the pants of the house."

"I'm just gonna ignore the outdated gender roles included in that statement, and agree with Cole." My friend Gia joined in.

"Okayyy, all in favor of ending this conversation?" I butted in before it became more of a train wreck.

"Aye." The entire table agreed.

Cole brought up a new topic almost immediately afterward, but my attention span was too short to listen to what he had to say. Instead my vision drifted into the distance, blankly staring at the seat where Kristen sat yesterday. Erin was sitting in it now next to Nico and Sam; Kaitlyn and Kristen hadn't arrived yet. Part of me wondered why they were so late, but knowing what Kaitlyn can get up to, I was partially grateful for the ignorance.

My eyes shifted from the table in the distance to my co-captain Gia. She sat with her milky brown legs crossed and her freshly manicured hand supporting her head as her honey glazed eyes bored into the clueless boy next to her. A few braids fell off her shoulder as her head slowly dipped, giving into his trance that only seemed to work on her.

Cole droned on about whatever the hell he was talking about with such a lack of elegance it made me question what Gia saw in him. I understood the initial appeal. He was handsome to say the least with his athletic figure and what Gia calls his "rich white boy smile", but that's as far as the appeal went for most people.

"Anyway, I'm gonna go to the vending machine; anyone wanna come?" he asked, abruptly ending his monologue.

I swiftly kicked her foot under the table, making her perk up like a deer in headlights.

"Yes— yeah, sure." she scrambled from her seat.

"Dope." He smiled, practically making her melt.

The rest of the lunch table snickered as we watched them walk to the other side of the cafeteria.

"Do you know what he was talking about?" Kendall leaned over.

I shrugged with a grin, "No clue."

Right as the words left my mouth, Kaitlyn and Kristen walked through the cafeteria doors. Kristen walked hurriedly in front while Kaitlyn strolled calmly behind, her gaze never leaving her prey.