Chapter 8: The Approaching Storm

Date: July 6, 2229

"It's beautiful, is it not?"

"Your people have a strange definition of beauty. This weapon could strike fear into the hearts of billions. It is a tool of war. A harbinger of death. There is nothing beautiful about it or what it brings."

"Quite philosophical of you. Yes, I would agree with you on all accounts. And yet there is something about the harmony between engineering and science. Bringing the idea of the weapon into physical form, to wrest it from the ether and into the material. That, I find beautiful."

"Forgive me if I cannot see the same beauty that you do. Though I cannot deny that this is a momentous occasion. The first updraft at the start of a long flight."

"Speaking of, have you had a chance to review the documents I gave you?"

"Yes, though I must admit that there is one part that I do not understand. Have you named this weapon?"

"It may sound strange to you, but there is great power in names. The weapon's name brings fear, but also strength, courage, and bravery. It can make our soldiers feel that they are invincible with it on their side. For this weapon, we drew upon an ancient god of death. One that weighed the hearts of man and shepherded them to the underworld. Judge, jury, and executioner."

"You channel your gods into your weapons?"

"Not quite as serious as it sounds, we are not religious zealots. It is meant to be evocative. To embolden the morale of those defended by it. To unsettle the enemies who lay their eyes upon it. It is the sword, and the shield. The bastion to which all will rally to."

"..."

"In our tongue, we refer to it as: Anubis."

-----------------------------------------------

Date: May 3, 2235

The ship left the hangar, gliding smoothly through space like a knife through butter. Mikael moved to the helm and cockpit, finding his assistant at the wheel. His name was Nero and has been working under Mikael for over five years. He stood at around the same height, though perhaps a tad shorter. He had natural red hair that was a darker tone. Paler skin and complexion, on the slender side, and clean shaven. Having kind blue eyes that resembled a soft azure. He was dressed in primarily black attire with white accents and flair. A jacket that he wore over top and pants that matched. Though he was in his mid twenties, he looked much younger than his age and sometimes caused pause at military checkpoints. 

"Ah, thank you for the speedy response Nero," Mikael began. Taking off his helmet, he joked, "Your expediency is somewhat suspicious though, are you sure you weren't taking the ship for a joyride when I called?"

"Wouldn't dream of it sir. I was actually running some diagnostics when you called," Nero answered, his voice soft and gentle. 

"Oh, is that so? Find anything?" Mikael asked, curious.

"The check engine light isn't on, so we're looking good," he replied, a smile fighting to keep itself down.

"Excellent. Looks like we can just kick back and enjoy the ride now," the grand admiral commented. 

He moved to the the other captains chair in the helm and leaned back, kicking his feet up over the "dash" of the ship. It was his anyway, no one could tell him what he could and couldn't do. Well... except for someone. 

"Sir. You really shouldn't do that. You'll get the controls dirty," Nero said, giving him a look. 

Mikael grumbled and slid his feet to the side and back to the floor. Instead resolving to simply recline and relax. He could be back in the lounge area with the others, but he wanted to save explanations for when they actually arrived. It would be much easier that way since they could actually see what he was talking about. Having some help from a friend didn't hurt either.