Chapter 10: The Truth Comes Out

Approximated Earth Date: 3. May. 2235

Teresh couldn't believe how beautiful this planet was, it took his breath away. The temperature was much colder than he was used to, with snow-capped mountains visible in the distance. Around him was an endless swath of trees that were far smaller than the ones they used as homes on Kurro, but the quantity was staggering. Wherever he looked, it was either mountain or tree line as far as his eyes could see. Their sky was a gorgeous blue that rivaled the prettiest gemstones. Small puffy white clouds populating the space like seeds on a sweet berry. All set against a glowing warm sun that shined above them. That wasn't all he was impressed by, Mikael's ship was a thing of beauty. Sleek, refined, and flew as smoothly as a dream. Spaces for leisure built into the ship, resembling a luxury cruise more than a personal vessel. Everything was organized, clean, and streamlined. It was impressive... too impressive.

Teresh had let himself become too enraptured with everything going on around him, and it wasn't until he stepped onto the landing strip that he truly realized it. He looked at the ship more closely as he followed behind Tom. Specifically taking note of the engines. They looked pristine, liquid fuel burning clearly, and there were four large thrusters that were cleverly hidden by the outer plating of the ship. Aesthetic mostly, but when he actually got a good look at them, something twinged in his stomach. They didn't look primitive or lower grade; they looked like any other set that you'd see on your common ship in the empire. It looked more than capable enough for FTL travel. Technology that this species shouldn't be capable of.

Teresh opened his mouth to speak, but a light blue blur in his periphery caught his eye. His eyes widened, noticing a blue feathered kooli addressing them.

"Greetings, I have been waiting a long time for you Teresh. My name is Lyze, welcome to the revolution," Lyze exclaimed, holding his hands out to his sides, even extending all four of his wings to add to the effect.

Teresh's eyes widened, his breath caught in his throat. The amount of whiplash that he felt at that moment could not be understated. Here was another kooli, one of his people, here on planet earth and wearing garb with the humans symbol proudly displayed on it. There was a twang of recognition, but he couldn't place it. Something about this man was familiar to him, but unknown. Like someone that had shown up to a family reunion and says that they know you, without being able to recognize them at all. The questions about their grasp on technology were now being answered. They had help from the outside. An insider from within the empire that provided them this technology. One of his own kin even. That vague familiarity now a nagging feeling in the back of his head as he struggled to wrack his mind.

Had they met before? If so, what was this talk about revolution? He couldn't think of any revolutionary groups in recent history. Even the word itself sounded strange in his tongue. Revolution for what? Against whom? The jarva was beloved. Things were perfectly fine on Kurro, there hasn't been a war or even a minor conflict in decades. What was this elder even talking about?

He didn't even know where to start, and the words just started tumbling out of his mouth.

"You're a kooli, here, on this planet?" Teresh sputtered, exasperated. "Who are you? What are you doing here? What revolution?"

The kooli held up his taloned hand, "I understand that you must be confused, if you just come ins-"

Teresh felt a flash of anger in his chest. An unusual feeling, but one he recognized clearly. He was not going to be told to sit still and wait around any longer. This was his job; he was here for diplomacy. He was not going to let this man treat him like a child even if he was his elder. Teresh deserved answers, and he needed things to start making sense or he was going to lose his mind.