Chapter 9: A Budding Rebellion

Approximate Earth Date: June. 8. 2234

"So, this... Teresh. You're comfortable recommending them as the next candidate for the diplomacy program?" Commander Talion asked, gesturing a pawed hand towards him. 

Ancestors, forgive me for the disdain and hatred that I feel in my heart, Lyze thought to himself. 

He hated the valaxi. Hated everything about them. He Hated their ideology, hated their appearance, hated their subjugation of his race and home, he hated them with a fiery passion. If it were up to him, he would gladly watch the Throne burn and personally glass it from orbit. The very fact that they acted as if they always knew the right course of action. Always questioning his decisions, despite being a veteran himself. He'd been in this program longer than Commander Talion has held this position. Who was he to question his decisions?

"Yes, I believe that he is a perfect candidate to make contact with the Sol system and planet 626," Lyze replied, fighting the urge to swallow the bile in the back of his throat. 

The commander paused, and the kooli could tell that he wanted to refute his statement. Come on you furry tyrant, question my authority, Lyze urged.

"Forgive me for imposing, but do you really think he's the best to offer? He has no diplomatic experience, he'll barely be getting an introduction before he's sent off at the end of the year. We have several more qualified candidates," Talion replied, a hesitance in his voice. 

"You are forgiven, and my statement still stands. He is friendly, approachable, perfectly unimposing and innocent. I have been keeping a watchful eye on the Sol system for the last decade of my life," Lyze replied, physically shifting his posture to appear taller. Though he was still dwarfed by the valaxi before him. He continued, "While I understand your concerns, it must also be recognized that this is barely a tier 2 civilization. Minuscule in comparison to our previous efforts. They have just reached the stars and are like pups learning to walk. We cannot simply come in with a fleet of ships flying the Imperial colors. This requires a more... gentle approach."

There was still some hesitancy on the commander's part, so Lyze decided to pull one of his other cards. Explaining, "It's partially for my nephew too. He has served the general well thus far, but I know that he desires to do more for the empire. I am not blind to the blatant nepotism, but it would mean a great deal to me if you could give the young boy a chance. I'll take on any and all consequences."

The commander was silent for a time, but Lyze felt intense satisfaction when he saw his shoulders relax. Conceding, "If that is the case... I will send for General Vorin in the morning. If Teresh accepts the proposal, he will be admitted to the program."

"Thank you commander, I knew that you of all people would recognize the benefits of this arrangement. This will be our most successful adoption yet," Lyze replied, his voice full of flattery and praise. Knowing that the ever proud valaxi always ate that up. 

"You are the expert after all. If he is part of your pack, I already have great feelings about him. Thank you for putting my mind at ease," the commander replied, before embracing him. 

Don't gag, don't voice your displeasure, bear it, Lyze's mind screamed. 

The most awful part of honoring a contract with a valaxi was their form of agreement. You were to embrace the other individual and smell their neck. It was a sign of appreciation, of familiarity. The sharing of scents and the hope for greater kinship. For Lyze, however, it was an awful and undignified reinforcement of the status quo. Any valaxi could introduce themselves this way, but it would be seen as rude to offer a valaxi a traditional kooli greeting. How he would love to see this world burn.