chapter three

Jared and I drove to the party in his old teal convertible that he'd had for as long as I'd known him. I used to try to convince him to sell it, but then he started elbowing me in the chest whenever I did, so I stopped.

The party was already in full swing by the time we arrived. It was being held at some rich person's home in the Hills. Jared said that it was a musician under the same management as he and the band.

"There's gonna be a lot of famous fuckers here. If you embarrass me, I'll kill you," Jared snapped as me as we pulled into the driveway of the mansion. He was smoking a cigarette that he had gotten from my purse. I turned my face away from his so that he couldn't see me rolling my eyes. "Hey," he hissed. "You hear me? I swear, you pull some stupid shit like you did earlier today and I'm dumping your ass out of the apartment for good."

Jared had kicked me out before when I upset him too bad, but he always took me within the next few days.

"I get it," I muttered, opening the car door and getting out. My heels clicked along the asphalt as I walked toward the entrance of the house--but then Jared grabbed me by the wrist, swinging me around to face him.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" He asked. I raised a brow.

"Going inside," I said flatly. What the fuck did he think I was doing?

"Don't talk to me like that. I'm going in first, then you can follow me."

I wanted to scream at his ridiculousness. He overthought every little fucking thing and if anything didn't go his way, he would blame it all on me--even when it wasn't my fault.

"Fine," I grumbled, staring down at my high heels and waiting for him to walk a few steps ahead of me. There were a few people standing around outside the house, but thankfully, none of them seemed to be paying attention to us.

When Jared reached the door, I started walking again. He headed inside, not bothering to wait for me, and by the time I entered the house's marble foyer, he was lost in the crowd--which I felt relieved about.

I didn't know a soul there. Jared had said there would be famous people, but I wasn't recognizing anyone from the TV screen or tabloids. I stumbled through the walls of people until I found myself at a bar in what appeared to be a sort of ballroom.

"Can I get a...um..." I looked around the shelves behind the bar. "...I'll have a shot of tequila, please."

"Coming right up," said the bartender, and when I finally looked up at him, I found myself pleasantly surprised by the sight awaiting me. He had an angular jaw, dusty blonde hair and navy blue eyes. I smiled.

"Hi," I breathed.

He turned around from where he had been grabbing a bottle of tequila and grinned.

"Um, hi," he said.

Minutes later, I was untying his tie and guiding him upstairs, our lips locked as I opened a random bedroom door and pushed us inside. He undressed quickly, early, and I let him trail his hands along my waist, still wearing my dress.

"I think you are the most beautiful girl in the world," he whispered in my ear, slipping a hand up my thigh. I leaned my head back and laughed. He looked surprised. "No, really," he said, "I mean it."

I shoved him onto the bed. After that, the only sound in the room was the occasional moan. When we finished, he redressed and left me lying in the bed without so much as a goodbye.

I exited the room soon after and rejoined the party. Things were beginning to get somewhat out of hand in the ballroom--there were people shrieking to the music playing, joints and lines were being shared, and the dance floor was packed to the brim with people.