Chapter Five: Lies

"But you promised!!"

The disappointed voice of Skid rang through the HQ as Tankman explained why he had kept the poor boy waiting all morning for a pancake session that never came. The skeleton-costumed child had thrown a fit earlier, his pillows and blankets in disarray, every drawing and piece of paper on the table either ripped or balled up and the trash can kicked over. Why no officer bothered to get Tankman up when they heard Skid throwing things around was beyond him. What does it take for officers to do what's expected of them nowadays?

"I know I promised, Skid. I overslept. I'm sorry."

The captain had no excuses to give the boy. He could tell him about how the other officers were to blame but that would only cause Skid to distrust them. Besides, as upset as he was with the others, Tankman knew that this whole situation was his fault for not setting an alarm, let alone even getting proper sleep.

"Sorry doesn't cut it this time, Mr. Officer! You promised! That means you had to do it!"

Skid turned away from the captain, crossing his arms as one of many balled up pieces of paper rolled across the floor.

"Does being angry at me mean that it was okay to completely trash this room?" Tankman changed the subject.

"I'm not talking to you." the boy huffed back.

Tankman groaned in frustration, rubbing his head as he kicked another balled up piece of paper.

"Fine but while you're not talking to me, clean the mess you made. This place looks like the pit."

The captain walked out of the room without another word. Sure, it was a bit insensitive, but right now he had not the time nor the patience to deal with Skid going on about how he missed making pancakes. It wasn't like he wanted to oversleep - it just happened. Everything was starting to catch up to him as much as he didn't want to tell his fellow officers.

As he walked down the hall, Tankman glanced at his infected arm. No major changes since the last time, thankfully - the corruption still covered his hand and midway up his arm. However, the scratch wound itself refused to quit oozing out this magenta substance. A bit of it had pooled on his desk when he had fallen asleep, making him have to wipe it down as well as change the bandages. Now not even an hour later, he was going to need to change the bandages once again. He also had to check on Ted's status.

What was worse is the exhausted captain felt as if he hadn't slept at all despite having slept almost the entire day.

"I hate you!! You're a meanie who doesn't keep his promises!"

Tankman heard Skid continuing his fit as he made his way down the hall. He had to admit, the halls felt a bit emptier without Ted in here making his usual remarks. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't worried for him. After all, he had given him a direct order to engage the Corruption he had found if he must. He didn't want the sniper to end up corrupted but they needed Whitty to get back here. If that bomb exploded on top of everything else they were going through, things wouldn't be pretty.

🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

"Engage the Corruption if you must."

The orders Ted had been given shot through his head like a bullet.

"Heh, who knew the captain actually cared for this bomb head." the sniper muttered as he leaned back in his seat at his cruiser that was parked in the park's parking lot. "Sorry though. Engaging this thing is the last thing I wanna do."

It wasn't that he was scared. Ted was pretty sure that if he got out there he could easily shoot that glitchy robot down. Hex wasn't a living being like any other Corruption once was. One shot to his motherboard and the android was as good as fried.