Chapter Ten: Betrayal

"Wow! This book sure is spooky! I should take it back to Mom and Pump!"

Skid exclaimed as he picked up the book from the old dusty table in the manor's living room. After being forced to run from Garcello, he had successfully made it to the manor without further incident. Although the little child was surprised that the manor was not only left unlocked but also vacant, he wasn't particularly alarmed. Mr. Lemon loved to leave his house unlocked when he wasn't home. He must like guests over! Mr. Lemon was a little weird but Skid liked it. He was a demon! How much cooler could that get? A real demon! That was the spookiest thing ever! A demon knew all kinds of things! If anyone knew where his mother and friend were, it had to be Mr. Lemon! Mr. Lemon had to know how to help Garcello too! Oh, and maybe he could help Valentino too. He never knew Mr. Lemon's brother was going through so much. Or maybe he was just a super good storyteller!

"Hmm. If Mr. Lemon isn't here yet, I'll wait for him! He always comes back here when he's done his errands!"

Skid continued to himself as he held the book, tracing the cool looking design on the cover. Even the cover was spooky! It had pumpkins and ghosts and even a little devil that reminded him of Pauline on it! Come to think of it, he hasn't seen Pauline in a while. He wondered where she was. He really wanted to see her and Rio again. Maybe have another rap battle with Rio – that would be fun! Maybe this time, Skid could actually win against Rio. Although he doubted he could win without Pump by his side.

Skid was never good at doing things on his own. Sure, he was the more vocal of the duo – everyone saw him as the more confident of the two children thanks to being the oldest. However, that was really only because Pump was there with him. Skid always found it hard to express himself when he was alone. Being raised by Lila who was always tired or busy was rather hard on the child. Things were never the same since his father passed away. It always felt as if his mother was too out of things to really care about what he was doing at school or to attend many of his school events. Lila didn't even do much when Skid said some kids at school bothered him. However, Pump had always been at his side. Pump had been his first friend. His Spooky Friend. With Pump at his side, Skid always felt as if he could overcome anything.

Times were different now though. He had been alone ever since Lila left him at the mall and everyone he tried to rely on had ended up turning their back on him. Tankman ended up ignoring a promise to spend time with him and Garcello had forced him to run and had yet to return, just like Lila and Pump. No one was as reliable as Pump. Skid wanted – no, he needed – him back.

Mr. Lemon was the one other person who hadn't failed him yet. Surely he would help find Pump and Lila, right?

"Skid!! There you are!!"

The child jumped in surprise when he heard a voice sound from behind him. However, his shock quickly melted when he recognized the voice.

"Pump!! You're—wait a minute...."

Skid turned to face the voice, expecting to see the orange pumpkin costumed child he called his Spooky Friend. The being staring at him looked like his friend only his whole figure was coated in a shady black. Magenta coated the stem and top of his costume alongside his feet and clawed fingers. His eyes now glowed magenta as well. Skid could swear he saw blood dripping from Pump's eyes as his friend grinned at him with sharp teeth.

"....Why is your costume black and magenta?"

Pump brought a finger to his mouth in thought as he answered.

"Isn't it obvious? It's a new Spooky Month outfit!"

Skid thought about his friend's statement for a moment before shrugging off his suspicions. The outfit sure looked spooky! It even distorted Pump's voice a bit! No costume had ever done that before!