Chapter Fifteen

The day of the wedding had arrived and Aila felt sick. Her stomach ached and she felt as if she'd throw up. Knowing that she would be forced to share a bed with Tove tonight made her physically ill. The thought of his hands on her body— she shuddered.

A tall, slender woman called Revna kneeled beside Aila, hemming her dress. She had long raven hair cascading over her shoulders— it was where her parents had chosen the name. Revna had become a warm face around the estate for the past couple days while she worked on Aila's wedding dress. She was kind and very polite, always asking Aila if she liked the dress and if it was comfortable.

"Almost finished," Revna announced. She pulled the needle through the fabric a couple more times before she was done. Standing, she gave Aila a kind smile and gathered her things to leave. Ingrid approached, reaching for the gown to help Aila pull it over her head.

"Don't want to get this dirty before the wedding," Ingrid said. Tove's sister seemed rather joyful, despite knowing that Aila was dreading being married to the brute.

"If it were up to me, that dress would be burned." With the look Revna had given her, Aila quickly added: "I didn't mean it like that. The dress is beautiful. I just don't want to get married."

Revna nodded her head in response, not seeming to fully believe Aila. The latter felt guilt at having made the comment. The dress was truly stunning. It hugged tightly at the waist, accentuating her curves. The neckline was anything but modest, her breasts pushed up and on view. It looked like an offering.

"You did excellent work," Ingrid said kindly to the woman. Revna thanked her before heading out the door, closing it behind her. Aila exhaled a breath she hadn't known she was holding. Being alone with Ingrid was somehow relieving, maybe because the woman was aware of the way Aila felt about her betrothed. She could at least speak openly about it.

"Where do you think Yrsa will stand during the ceremony?" Ingrid said in a thoughtful tone.

"I hadn't thought of that," Aila replied. She grabbed her linen chemise off the bed and quickly pulled it on. The fabric was heavy and warm, but kept her nicer dresses free of sweat. Ingrid helped her dress into a simple dark green gown to wear until the ceremony.

Aila began to wonder about Yrsa. Where was she going to stand? And how would the bedroom situation be for the three of them? Did Yrsa have her own room? Would Aila? So many questions flooded her mind. If Tove expected Aila to share a bed with that woman, then he had another thing coming.

***

Aila bent over the chamber pot, hurling up her breakfast. Nadine sat beside her, rubbing circles on her back. The wedding was quickly approaching. Aila was supposed to be getting ready, instead, she was reliving the eggs she had eaten earlier.

The door opened and Ingrid entered. She quickly covered her nose with a hand. "What is that fowl smell?" Taking in Aila's state, Ingrid gagged and quickly left. Nadine chuckled.

"Are you feeling any better?" Nadine asked sweetly. She looped her arm through Aila's, helping her stand. Aila groaned in response. Nadine pulled Aila's blonde locks back behind her ears. "I can help you with your hair."

"I would appreciate that," Aila responded.

Aila sat in a wooden chair by the lit fireplace, Nadine's fingers gently sweeping through her hair. She pulled it into an elaborate updo with braids and silver flower pins. When her hair was finished, Aila slipped into the wedding gown and stared at herself in the mirror. Of course she looked beautiful. Her figure was on display, strands of hair framing her face. Her eyes looked dull, her expression anxious and sad. This would not be a day to celebrate.

"I did an amazing job," Nadine said, admiring her work. Her smile was bright, lighting up the room. It made Aila feel a little less upset. Nadine had a way of making Aila feel at ease.

The bedroom door opened and Ingrid appeared once again. "Smells much better in here," she teased. Taking in Aila's look, she gave an open-mouthed smile. "I could only hope to look half as beautiful as you on my wedding day."

"When the day comes that you marry Fell, you'll look even more radiant," Aila said. "Because you'll actually be happy."

Bringing up Fell seemed to sour Ingrid's mood. Aila supposed now wasn't a good time to discuss marrying Fell. Ingrid was obviously in love with the man, and it would seem that Tove would never allow them to be wed. Both women were destined to be in loveless marriages. Or in Ingrid's case, maybe no marriage at all. Aila could never see the woman agreeing to a union with somebody she didn't like.

"Somebody please tell Dagfinn to propose to me," Nadine said jokingly. Although if he were to actually propose, Aila wasn't sure if her friend wouldn't say yes. He was very handsome and tall and broad. His character was yet to be determined, but he seemed kind.

"He's right outside," Ingrid said with a mischievous grin. "Shall I have my brother command Dagfinn to marry you," she teased.

Nadine faked a sigh, holding her hand to her chest.

"He wouldn't need any convincing. Just look at you," Aila commented. Nadine was a very beautiful woman, she fit the beauty standard perfectly, but also stood out. Her eyes were wide, making her look sweet and innocent. Full lips, long, wavy blonde hair, blue eyes. Who could refuse her?

"You're too sweet," Nadine said playfully.