Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

Two days of staring and gossiping went by. Colden hadn't appeared again, which meant no more outbursts from Tove. Aila felt grateful for that at least. The days were filled with wedding preparations and meetings—which she was not allowed to attend. Instead, she was awarded with time spent peacefully alone. She wandered the halls some days, exploring the estate. A guard followed, he kept a distance behind, allowing her some space.

     Aila walked alongside Nadine, accompanying her to a large cozy room, full of soft seating and tables full of delicious looking food. The room was crowded with many woman, most dressed in dark gowns.

"Hello," Nadine greeted them with a wide smile. She was stunning when she smiled. She seemed to shine brighter than the sun itself. Nadine whisked a strand of brown hair away from her face and stuffed it back into place.

"Nadine!" One bigger woman exclaimed, rushing toward the girl to embrace her. "I see you've brought a friend."

"Yes, this is Aila." Nadine nudged Aila forward, directing all the girls to the nervous outsider.

     "Hello," Aila said shyly. The women seemed friendly enough.

     "You must join us," the woman said, a bright smile on her plump lips. She took a seat on a chaise and gestured for them to do the same. Nadine quickly chose the spot next to her friend, while Aila stood hesitantly.

     "Come sit," Nadine said. So Aila obliged. The chaise was quite firm, and not as comfortable as it looked. Aila didn't bother mentioning it. She was sure no one would appreciate the opinions of an outsider.

     "That is so lovely," Nadine said as she grabbed a blanket the other woman was in the process of sewing. It was made of a dark fabric, one Aila was sure felt just as awful as the chaise felt. "You'll have to help me perfect my needle work."

     "Do you sew?" The lady turned to Aila, whose cheeks flushed a bright red.

     "No," was Aila's only response.

     "That's a shame," the woman said.

     Nadine turned to Aila, giving her a kind, reassuring smile, as if saying never mind my friend. Aila wished everyone there could be as nice as her new beautiful friend. But that was just wishful thinking.

     "I hear the wedding will be in a couple days," another woman said. It was not a subject Aila wished to discuss. Quite the opposite actually, she wanted to steer as far away from the topic as possible. But the words only seemed to peak the women's interests even more.

     "A date hasn't been set yet," Nadine said. She turned toward the woman who had spoken, finding the older woman from breakfast the other day. The one who had glared at Aila. She was now sitting at the heart of the room, fabric rich with color in her hand. She was embroidering birds on the material.

     "I know," Yrsa responded. Her dark eyes were studying Aila intensely. "My husband—or um, soon to be our husband—informed me of the situation and gave me the task of arranging it." A wicked smile took form on her red lips.

     Seconds passed by as Aila took in what Yrsa had said. Our husband. Tove was already married, and to this woman. She seemed too old to be with such a young man; and even more cruel than he was. Aila could tell that Yrsa was a hard woman.

***

The bedroom was cold when Aila arrived. The guard outside kindly lit a fire for her and took up his place outside the door. Aila pulled up a chair by the warmth and drifted off to sleep. She dreamt of Yrsa, the wife of her betrothed. How silly it all would have sounded if she had heard it only a couple days ago.

She was awoken by shaking hands. Her eyes opened to slits, finding Tove standing above her. He grabbed her by the arms, pulling her out of the chair. She groaned, sleep begging to take over. Aila's eyes felt heavy and she tried blinking it away.

     "I heard about your conversation with Yrsa today," Tove said casually. Aila suddenly perked up at that, remembering how uncomfortable she had felt being around that woman. "She had very unpleasant things to say about you." He wore a look of amusement.

     "I am not surprised, considering I am to marry her husband." Aila gave Tove a pointed look. The amusement from his face faded into anger.

     "I suggest you hold your tongue unless you wish to be confined to this room until the wedding." His hands tightened their grip on her arms. Aila was sure it would leave bruises. "Now get into bed and be quiet."

     "Why did you choose me?" She asked.

     Tove's response was to throw Aila on the bed. She yelped as she hit the furs roughly, having to grab ahold to stop herself from tumbling into the wall. "I told you to be quiet."

     Her breathing became heavier, and panic began to settle in. Aila turned her eyes to the brute, watching as he moved closer while yanking his clothes off. He kept those golden eyes on her while he climbed into bed and shoved her face first into the pillows. She fought against his brute strength, to no avail. He held firm as she kicked and screamed.

Breathing quickly became difficult. Aila felt like a fish out of water, flopping desperately in hopes that it would make it back to safety. Her head began to feel dizzy from lack of oxygen, but Tove still held her there.

She begged silently for the gods to save her. To put her out of her misery.

He gripped her dress, tugging it above her knees. Her leg swung behind her, connecting with Tove's stomach. He lurched back, allowing her to come up for air. She gulped it down greedily.

Tove growled and stood from the bed, walking toward the fire. Aila watched him nervously as he lifted the wooden chair and smashed it against the wall. His anger was unlike anything she had seen before. It was terrifying.

She gripped the furs into her palm and wrapped them around her shivering body. She covered herself completely, hiding the tears that now began to fall.

Tove mumbled to himself angrily, tossing things around the room. Aila was afraid to remove the blanket and witness the damages he was making. She only listened as he threw the door open and slammed it.

Alone, Aila nestled into the warm furs and struggled to fall asleep that night.

***

Tove didn't return at all that night. Aila hoped he would never return. Maybe she had angered him so much, he decided not to marry her after all. Even better, maybe he'd let her return home.

     She knew these thoughts were just wishful thinking. Tove had proven to be possessive and likely wouldn't ever let her leave. Perhaps he'd kill her before letting her go. Aila wasn't sure if death was a better option. She'd be at peace, as opposed to the hell Tove was currently putting her through. He had killed her family, taken her from her home to be his unwilling bride, and then tried to take away her virtue before they were even wed.

     Maybe death was a better alternative. She would be with her family again. At the thought of them, tears slid down her cheeks. She brushed them away and lied back in bed, ready to sleep the day away.