Chapter 5: The Models

"Encounters await us, but most of the time we prevent them from happening." -Paulo Coelho

1/3 OF THE WEEKEND MARATHON

TWO DAYS LATER...

"Have you had any modeling experience before?" a woman asked, staring at her while Camila played with her nervous bracelet.

The room seemed claustrophobic to her from the nerves she felt. An hour ago, she and Dinah had arrived at the boutique of renowned designer Narciso Rodriguez for a model casting for his new collection. And she hadn't been able to stop being nervous for a minute.

"I've never worked as a model" Camila whispered shyly.

"Do you have any "portfolio" with photographs that we can see?" she said writing down while Camila looked at her without understanding.

"The truth is that I had never done anything like this" Camila sighed.

"It's understandable" The woman smiled at her. "You're very pretty and I think you could work. You are not very tall, but your body is very well-proportioned."

"Thank you" Camila murmured not knowing exactly what else to say.

Two days ago Dinah had convinced her to go with her to that casting and when she arrived she had practically left her alone when they called her for a test. Now Camila was there, feeling uncomfortable in the black skirt that Dinah had forced her to wear with her white top. Camila didn't always dress very femininely. She liked cute things but she preferred her Converse, her jeans, and her snapbacks. She touched her hair knowing she didn't have one of hers at the moment and sighed. Feeling like a part of her that was always with her, missing her. She liked the dresses, and her skirts but she preferred the comfort of her usual clothes.

"Would you like to do some tests?" she asked Camila and she simply agreed. It was already there and it looked like serious company. Dinah had instructed her in those two days about the world of fashion. Camila didn't know much, but she had made an effort not to disappoint her best friend. Although her eyes had only been drawn to one particular magazine among the "exaggerated" amount of Dinah's collection. A magazine where Lauren Jauregui was in all her splendor.

Lauren Jauregui.

Again that face and that name crossed her mind, taking away the peace and tranquility she had managed to acquire since her father had left. Little by little she was getting over that even though she hadn't been able to get a job. She'd been lucky that Dinah's event had been pushed back a day so she could find work. But she hadn't had much luck.

It was a tough world and work was not easy to find. And if she had a chance in that world of "fashion and glamour" she would take it. Though she thought there wouldn't be a chance for her in something fashionable. If they were to offer her something, she would take it for Sofi and her. For her little family. She would do anything for her sister, including letting those people she didn't know strip her naked and make her try on countless clothes before introducing herself to Narciso Rodríguez. She would do whatever it took to give her sister what she deserved from
her.

She would do anything as long as it didn't undermine her true essence. That were just clothes. She supposed that at some point she could wear her snapback. Besides, she was sure that they would never choose her.

"I hate that this is the way this day is," Normani said, smoothing her hair as Lauren put on her signature glasses.
"And being late for a call waiting for you two."

"Are you sure that Narciso asked us to come?" Ally said getting out of the car.

The sky greeted them cloudy with some threat that a huge storm would break out at any moment. Lauren had been locked in her studio drawing sketches like a maniac when Narciso had interrupted her peace of mind hoping that she would arrive at his store to choose the last three models for the campaign in Japan and that they would travel with them.