Chapter 48

Right now all I cared about was Jace and Em were safe from this city right now. It was a long night thinking about what was happening beneath these floors.

Aiden came to my room to escort me to the gardens for breakfast with him, we were heavily guarded, even at the gazebo we were surrounded. "We are fine, all of you are dismissed. Off with you all."

They hesitated, then left. I leaned over the table whispering aggravatingly at him, "when the fuck were you gonna tell me you work with Ryland?"

His lower lip flexed down, showing his bottom teeth, "I was sworn to not tell you, just as you are to your identity."

Leaning back, "you should have told me when you figured me out."

"Yeah well my mind was a bit preoccupied and shocked at what you are. Speaking of which, why didn't you kill my father."

Crossing my arms, "because he's being controlled. I don't know for how long but on his wrists are markings, stars with circles at the points. He didn't even know who I truly was."

His finger tapped, "that makes sense I guess, but the question is he making the choices or is someone making them for him and if they are who is controlling him."

Shrugging "dunno, but do you know what's happening in the dungeons?"

His mouth closed tightly, "yes and no, I've only seen them all in cages, they are being tested on or something. No one is allowed into certain rooms."

Taking a strawberry and popping it into my mouth, "well if no one is allowed in, that means someone I know should be going in there."

His eyes widened. "I bet you could handle it but that is a hard no from me. You'll get caught."

Taking another berry, "I've only ever been caught once, when I was a child stealing bread and look where I am now."

His eyes rolled and he chuckled. "This isn't bread stealing from a bakery, Lily."

Swatting my hand around "yeah yeah yeah. I'm still going to do it."

He leaned into the table, taking a strawberry from me, "here's a question, why do you care? If it was mordls with no abilities down there no one would care and you know that. No one even cared that they were being sold and slaughtered in Blagden."

He was right, people with abilities really didn't do anything for the mordls, no one really cared about the genocide happening in the north they only care now because the people who did it were coming here.

"Because, who else will do it? Right now I am everyone's only chance to do it since the crystals are still up. There will always be one person that will want to try. I bet there was someone out there that wanted to help the mordls"

Eating another strawberry, he watched my every move putting the berry in my mouth. After we ate we walked around the castle grounds for a while, guards still following us around. He took my arm and we both started running through mazes of bushes and trees till we got to a bench in front of a small koi pond.

I kneeled down at the pond's edge putting my hand in the water, the fish coming up to me in hopes I had food. It was quiet in this small little area, being surrounded by the bushes helped a ton, "I think they will leave us alone here."

I started picking dandelions and clovers, weaving them together like I used to do with June. Who was knelt in front of me doing the exact same thing right now. After making a small crown I put it on Aiden's head, he looked up "wow, what a crown."

I snickered, "yeah, it's the perfect crown for you, a very pretty dainty prince."

He raised his brows, "dainty? Should I take my shirt off and show you what you couldn't keep your hands off of?"