Coffee Macarons

Ingredients

- 3 Egg Whites Aged For 24-48 Hours in the Fridge and Brought to Room Temperature

- 1/4 Cup White Sugar

- 2 Cups Confectioners Sugar

- 1 Cup Almond Flour

- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee

- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips for Filling

- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee for Filling

- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream for Filling

Directions

- In a pot, combine chocolate chips and instant coffee. In a separate sauce pan, bring the whipping cream almost to a boil. Remove from heat and pour on top of the chocolate chips and instant coffee.

- Whisk until combined. Set the ganache aside to allow it to harden a little while you make the shells.

- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs with granulated sugar until the mixture begins to rise and stiffen.

- Sift (important) powdered sugar and almond flour to remove any lumps.

- Sift instant coffee into the almond flour/powdered sugar mixture. Stir to combine all ingredients together.

- Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture with a spatula until just combined. Be cautious not to over mix.

- Place piping bag into a tall cup to hold it straight. Stuff the macaron batter inside the piping bag, twisting the top to seal it inside.

- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Pipe thick circles of batter onto the baking sheet. Tap baking sheet at least 3 times on each side to rid the batter of any air bubbles. Allow the batter circles to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.

- Bake macarons at 300°F for 12-15 minutes. You'll know they're ready when they no longer stick to the parchment paper. Allow shells to cool to room temperature.

- Place another pastry bag into a tall cup to hold it straight. Fill the bag with ganache. Pipe ganache onto one of the macron pieces and cover it with the other piece.

Notes

- Storing Coffee Macarons

Refrigerator: Store leftover macarons in an airtight container in the fridge. They should last up to two weeks. Never, ever store macarons at room temperature! They will go stale fast and lose their signature chewiness. Freezer: Freeze macarons by placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop the baking sheet into the freezer. Once frozen, transfer the macarons to a freezer-safe plastic bag. They should stay fresh for up to three months. When you're ready, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.

- Sift the dry ingredients for the best texture. It's important to sift the dry ingredients to remove any lumps. If you skip this step, you will get misshapen macaron shells.

- "Aging egg whites" means to allow them to sit in the refrigerator uncovered for a minimum of 24 hours (48 hours preferred). This allows the egg proteins to relax, making it easier to whip them up and create volume.