Blueberry Macarons

Ingredients

Macarons

- 3/4 Cup Ground Almond Flour/Almond Meal

- 2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar

- 2 Large Egg Whites at Room Temperature

- 3 1/2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar

- Blue Food Coloring

Buttercream Frosting

- 1/4 Cup(56g) Unsalted Butter, Room Temp

- 1 Tsp (4g) Vanilla Extract

- 1/8 Tsp (1g) Salt

- 1 Cup (125g) Powdered Sugar

- 1 Tsp (5g) Heavy Cream

Filling

- 1/4 Cup Blueberry Jam

Directions

Macarons

- Place a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Using a 1 ½" round cookie cutter, trace 20 circles on to parchment paper. Place another clean sheet of parchment paper on top. Set aside.

- Place the almond flour and powdered sugar in a food processor. Process for a 1 minute. Set aside.

- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium-low until frothy. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. There should be soft peaks at this point. With the mixer on low, gradually add the granulated sugar.

- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks form. Add food coloring and stir until completely combined.

- Place a fine mesh strainer over bowl and sift the flour/sugar mixture into the egg whites mixture. Gently stir the flour into the egg whites until completely incorporated but be careful not to over mix. It will seem sort of thick at first but keep stirring until it's smooth and forms a ribbon. It should take about 50 strokes.

- Pour the batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a plastic coupler and no pastry tip. The coupler is the perfect width, about ½". Pipe the batter on to the parchment with the circles. Let the cookie batter go to just inside the edge of the circle line. Preheat the oven to 350°F. and let the piped batter dry for about 30 minutes.

- Bake cookies for 11 minutes. Let them cool completely. Meanwhile, carefully remove the bottom parchment with the circles and reuse it on another large cookie sheet covered with a clean piece of parchment paper. Repeat the above piping and baking process.

Buttercream

- While the macaron shells rest and bake, beat room-temperature butter on a medium speed for 1-2 minutes with a whisk attachment until it becomes lighter in color and smooth.

- Mix in vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt on a low speed.

- Slowly mix in powdered sugar and heavy cream on a low speed.

- Continue to mix on low for a couple minutes until the ingredients are fully incorporated and the desired consistency is reached.

- If the frosting is too thick, add in additional heavy cream or milk (1 tsp at a time). If the frosting is too thin, add in more powdered sugar (1 Tbsp at a time).

- Place in a piping bag with same round piping tip you used to pipe the macaron shells and set aside.

Assembly

- After macaron shells have cooled properly, pipe a ring of frosting around one macaron shell and fill the center with blueberry jam

- Sandwich the cookies together and leave in the fridge overnight, or ideally 24 hours to let the flavors mature properly