~1~

Killua sighed, hands in his pockets as he walked along the streets of the town he called home. The sharp scent of smoke hit his nose as he passed by an alley, which he ignored. It wasn't exactly uncommon in these parts. Almost there- Killua blinked, realizing his body was going numb. He glanced down, confused. Confusion turned to alarm as he realized his body was...disintegrating? Turning into a fine powder that was blowing away in the wind. The alarm faded into curiosity, as he realized...it didn't hurt. He watched his fingers turn from flesh to sand, then get whisked away by the wind. The decay crawled up his arms and legs, then his chest, then finally his head. His vision faded as his eyes turned grainy, then fell to the ground in a million microscopic particles.

It took a few minutes for Killua's senses to come back. The first thing he heard was the chattering of hundreds of strangers. He felt the humid air, smelled the wet asphalt, and lastly saw a massive crowd bustling around him. I seem to have...teleported he realized, blinking and glancing around and getting a bearing of his surroundings. There seemed to be some sort of rush, as the people seemed to be moving in a specific direction. It was then he also noticed how...wrecked, the city looked. Windows smashed, charred buildings, random debris littering the ground.

Very interesting he thought. Then....he smelled the smoke. Killua immediately tried to activate En but...it didn't work. He frowned, then realized he was in a state of zetsu he couldn't seem to get rid of. That comes with advantages though, as well as some drawbacks. he thought. Killua scaled what seemed to be a kiosk, filled with assorted items for sale. From his vantage point he took in his surroundings, before noticing a building a little ways away, it was up in flames like the rest of the city but it seemed to be...a school. He diverged from the crowd, stepping quickly as he made his way over. There were a few people in flashy outfits keeping people away.

"back up! There's toxic gas, breathing it could be fatal-" a woman sobbed. "MY BABIES!" Killua hesitated. There's kids still in there? Killua ripped part of a flag off a flagpole, then ran towards the building. He'd be dammed if some smoke stopped him, there were children in there. "Hey kid! What are you-", "STOP!" Killua dodged as one of them tried to grab at him, then ran into the fire. The smoke was infused with some sort of poisonous gas he couldn't identify, man he was rusty on his poison identification.

He closed his eyes and focused, listening for any noise. He heard a soft muffled crying and broke through a wall, grabbing a young girl and hauling her over his shoulder. He shredded part of the flag off, and wrapped it around her nose and mouth to protect against the gas. "h-help!" a young voice cried, feebly. Killua went methodically throughout the building as the fire alarm blared in his ears, grabbing kids and hauling them over his shoulders or back. He could only carry so many though, he was on his fifth and had to tie her to his back with the flag. A seventh went on his front, and that was it. Thankfully the rest evacuated already.

Killua ran back out the door, making sure to carefully place each child on the ground and unwrap their mouth coverings. They needed fresh air. "Hey you! Call an ambulance" he barked, at one of the oddly clothed individuals. He checked their breathing, they seemed to be stable. Thank god- "who the hell do you think you are?" the man said, furious. Killua locked eyes with the mother who'd been crying for her children and she quickly called the police. He stood up, but before he could speak suddenly he was getting scolded by several people. Saying he was being reckless, and a kid like him shouldn't be putting himself in danger like that. But there was one sentence, that really pissed him off. "leave it to the pro's kid"

Killua scowled. "pro? You claim to be a pro?" most pathetic hunters I've ever seen. "well yeah-", "why didn't you save them then?" he asked, gesturing to the unconscious children. The female hunter frowned. "well there was toxic gas, we could've been killed-", "so?" he interrupted. One of the others went to speak, but he spoke over them. "the moment you became a professional, you agreed to this. You knew you'd be putting your life on the line every day. If you want respect, do your fucking job. Don't bitch to me about how I was being unsafe, when you don't even have the balls to risk bodily harm for the sake of others." The group of hunters fell silent, a crowd was gathering as killua scolded them.

"w-who the hell are you to be taking to us like this-", "who am i? I'm someone who went out of my way to do your fucking job because you were too worried about saving your own skin, then others" he said, venom dripping from his words. There aren't many hunters who dedicate their time to saving people, but if that's not what their goal is they shouldn't claim it. Their just as bad as the fucking police. "you wanna save people? Then fucking do it. But if you don't, put down that cape and let someone who's actually capable step up" the female's teeth gritted. "stop talking like you're on our level you little brat!" she spat. "waiting for another hero to arrive was the best option!"

Killua rolled his eyes, then pulled out his hunter's license and flashed it to them. "your right, im not on your level" he said dryly. I'm above it. He thought. That, was a fact. He'd climbed the ranks of the hunter society, and gathered quite a deal of respect. He'd worked hard over the past few years to make a name for himself other than the title 'zoldyck' The female hunter frowned. "what's that little card?" Killua paused. Does she mean...my hunter's license? So these arent pro hunters? It occurred to him he had no idea where he was still. I saw a library a few blocks back, I'll go there. The ambulance pulled in and Killua took that moment to slip away undetected. He mulled over the words those 'pros' had said.

Suddenly he remembered a particular line the woman had said. "waiting for another hero to arrive was the best option!" He thought for a moment. Hero..? Don't tell me- he looked sideways, and up, and saw a massive billboard. There was an image of a man with blonde hair and a massive grin.

 There was an image of a man with blonde hair and a massive grin

"No fucking way..."

1158 words

To be continued...

hi- i really hope this one lasts. im so sorry shippers life has just been hectic, especially because of sols coming close and the fact ive started working, not to mention quite a bit of mental and emotional struggle lately. but i hope you enjoy this book!

also ill try to be consistant with posting this time