Chapter Five

"They're stupid and lazy and they should be shot on sight," Miranda declared.

"I've been out with a lot of guys, and they say I am just as beautiful as a model, but I work for a living. I'm like a model who's taken the high road," Samantha countered, grinning.

"Don't you think you're being a little unfair?" Robin chimed in as she brought the food over to the table in her dining area.

She'd finally managed to get them all together for dinner, and to take a grand tour of her officially completed apartment. They'd gushed over the space, which now had upgraded furniture and decor, thanks to Charlotte, as well as her huge walk-in closet full of designer clothes, thanks to Carrie, and her fully equipped kitchen, thanks to her.

After running through the events of the week so far, the conversation had turned to a man who had ambushed Miranda with the fact that he really only liked models after they'd had a fabulous first date.

Miranda's eyes widened as Robin laid everything out. "You made all of this?" she clarified.

"Mmhmm," Robin hummed. "There are chopsticks and forks, by the way."

"You made all of this?" Miranda repeated, laughing. "I need more information."

Robin laughed as she sat down. "It's a hobby I picked up early. There aren't that many places to eat out where I grew up, besides chains, and I watch a lot of cooking shows and wanted to try all the food I was seeing on them. So I started reading cookbooks and experimenting in the kitchen, and over time I became quite proficient at it. Now, there's a lot more variety here, but I still love to cook when I can, and it's even more fun when I have people to cook for."

"What is everything?" Charlotte asked as she prepared to fill her plate.

Robin pointed to each dish when she named it. "Sticky sesame cauliflower, black pepper chicken stir-fry, pork dumplings, scallion pancakes, spinach and almond salad with sesame and ginger vinaigrette, shrimp fried rice, and vegetable spring rolls. I also have green and oolong tea."

"See," Miranda observed, grabbing a spring roll and biting into it, "if we were models, none of us would eat any of this, and that would be a shame, because if it's all as delicious as this spring roll, it's going to be an amazing meal."

She held up the rest of the spring roll and gave Robin a thumbs up. "But you were saying we were being unfair before. I really want to hear this explanation," she requested sincerely.

Everyone dug into the food as Robin talked. "I just think that models don't have it as easy as you think they do. They get as much criticism about their appearance as other women. Probably more than that, especially behind the scenes. And they are working for a living. Their work is modeling."

"But the advantages given to models and beautiful women in general are so unfair it makes me want to puke," Miranda continued, shaking her head at Robin's assertions.

"Sweetheart, you shouldn't say that. You are so cute," Samantha protested.

"Cute doesn't cut in this town," Miranda exclaimed. "What's cute compared to supermodel?"

"Beauty is subjective, though." Robin refused to give up that easily. "Just because one man finds models attractive doesn't mean the next man does. And some men don't date based on physical type. They base it on personality."

"Oh, please," Miranda scoffed. "It's like they had a meeting and decided to only get it up for giraffes with big breasts."

"Well, that's not fair. Robin has big breasts," Charlotte pointed out.

Robin snorted and almost inhaled a piece of chicken. "I do. Thanks, Charlotte. Though I'm not sure how that's relevant to what Miranda said."

"Well, not at all men are attracted to you, right? No offense," Charlotte explained. "I just mean that it can't be boiled down to one trait."