math classes

[1 year before]

—Are you ready little sister?

—Of course... you know I'm always ready...

We were at the dining room table. Steve was helping me solve a math problem... he made it look so easy.

Almost every afternoon, he would sit with me in the dining room explaining how to solve math problems. When he explained them to me, they were very easy for me.

—... So, this procedure is known as the Composite Rule of 3

—Steve said as he wrote down the formula in my notebook.

—Wow... it's very easy to do just like you explained it to me, thank you very much brother.

Suddenly, my brother paused and looked me straight in the eyes and said:

—Tori... I'll always be there for you when you need it... now I need you to make me a promise...

—What kind of promise? —I asked curiously

—Promise me that you will always try your best and that you will be the best in school... even that I... promise that you will study to have higher grades than mine...

For a moment I was silent, just seeing his face... until I finally answered:

—I promise you —and while saying that we intertwined our little fingers—

At the time, I didn't know that promise would become so important and special to me. I never thought that moment would become a priceless moment. He was about to enter university, while I had just entered high school... by the way, I study at homeschool... also my other brother, named Charlie, studies at home, but he is in 6th grade...

[1 year later]

—It can't be true... —I said as I felt someone stick a thorn in my heart... a thorn that pricked too much and caused me intense pain—. I still haven't fulfilled the promise I made to him... It can't be really... I can't believe it...