shared necklaces

[1 year before]

It was the day of my 15th birthday... I was very excited, my parents had given me permission to invite some of my friends and have a little party.

That day, before the party started, I was in my room, finishing getting ready when Steve knocked on the door:

—I can enter?

—Of course brother... come on

When he came in, I noticed that he had his hands behind his back...and right away I knew he had something in his hands...he tried not to notice me, so I pretended I didn't know he had something...

—Tori... I have a present for you —he said while he gave me a very nice little box.

—What is?

—Open it...

Carefully, I untied the white ribbon that surrounded the blue box, then I removed the lid and saw the gift: They were two necklaces... but they weren't just any kind of necklace, they were to share...

—This is yours —he said as he delicately took out the necklace that had a thin chain and a small star charm.

I picked up my hair and he put the necklace on me. Then I took hers out and put it on her, it was a thicker chain and the pendant was a circle, but inside that circle was a star shape. We both held the pendants and he explained to me:

—These necklaces come together, the star on your necklace fits the circle on my necklace...

—They are beautiful... this is a beautiful gift brother... you have very good taste...

He stared at me for a few moments and then added:

—I'm going to ask you to make me another promise... if you think it's too weird... don't do it, but if you want to do it, that's fine...

—What promise do you want me to make you?

—Promise that you will wear this necklace until the day you get engaged...if he is the right guy...he will give you a necklace on your birthday...and on that day you will take off the necklace I gave you...

—But... won't the necklace be mistreated a lot?

—I bought it in silver... so it's supposed to last a long time...

At that moment I interrupted him and said:

—It will be our necklace of best siblings forever... and I would like to try to fulfill that promise... so I will accept... —And while saying that, I took his hand and we intertwined our little fingers as a sign that we had a promise.

Since that day, neither of us take off the necklace...

[1 year later]

I was in my room, holding Steve's necklace in my hands when suddenly I couldn't hold back anymore and tears began to flow from my eyes forming a kind of river of tears as they ran down my cheeks. I cried for a while... and when I thought I couldn't cry anymore; more tears began to fall...

—Oh God... why did you let that happen? Why? I can't understand... Why...?

I continued crying... It was night, the clock next to my bed read 2:43 am. m., I had not been able to sleep... I felt too much pain in my heart to be able to rest. As I cried, I was remembering the day Steve had given me the necklace. That day had been so joyful... I ran my fingers lightly over my brother's necklace as I kept telling God why he had allowed this to happen. Come to think of it... the best thing I could do at that time was express my feelings and cry.

My mom always tells me: "When you want to cry, do it, it's not bad to cry, even Jesus cried when he felt like it."

If I hadn't cried at that moment, I would have understood my feelings... and in time my feelings would fade and my heart would have hardened.