3.13

A year into the apocalypse, a caravan of trucks rolled in from F City's outpost. A female scientist with red-rimmed glasses and a high ponytail stepped out. She glanced around the SG base, noting with interest how this civilian area was already as fortified and more organized than some of the military bases she'd traveled through along the way.

A tough-looking woman with short hair stepped up to greet her. She had a no-nonsense look to her. "Scientist Xi Lisa?"

"That's me." Lisa Xi flicked her gaze over the woman with interest. She looked like a fighter. Qualities of leadership. But most bases were run and lead by men.

"I'm a lieutenant of the Survivor Guard. He Zifeng. The leader of our base asked me to show you around. He just got back from a mission—still getting cleaned up."

"Fine. Lead the way."

Lisa Xi had a naturally sharp and waspish tone, but the SG lieutenant He Zifeng didn't bat an eye. She took Lisa Xi through the security checks and had her get into an SG-marked car to drive further into the base.

The outer perimeter of the SG was made of highly defended walls and outposts constructed by earth and metal ability users. Watchtowers dotted the defensive lines like spikes jutting to the sky.

Immediately after exiting the checkpoints, Lisa Xi saw over a hundred tents lined up in orderly rows not far away. Among the tents were medical stations, food stations, and bathroom stations. The area bustled with haggard-looking refugees and outfitted SG members providing aid. The conditions were clean and well-tended.

It was a surprise to see such charity in the apocalypse. He Zifeng didn't make much note of it, other than, "Refugee camp for people we've rescued. They can apply to join the base or head to F City."

They moved on quickly. Beyond the tents were various buildings in construction. Ability users worked in tandem with large construction machines. The further into the base they drove, the more finished buildings Lisa Xi saw.

He Zifeng introduced some of the buildings, but nothing caught Lisa Xi's interest until they'd finally driven to the heart of the SG base.

There, the dirt roads turned to worn-out brick. Another round of defensive outposts passed by, and He Zifeng slowed to a stop through another checkpoint.

After passing through, Lisa Xi saw an avenue of trees leading up to a villa.

It used to be a beautiful home, but now it was a fortress covered in defenses. The only remnant of the past was probably in the greenery that hadn't been cleared out.

"The research wing is in the back. The boss wanted it to be the most protected zone in the base." He Zifeng parked in front of another building, one that also seemed constructed before the apocalypse.

The two of them got out. The entrance to the research lab had two guards. He Zifeng escorted Lisa Xi inside and showed her around the lobby and the in-building residences for the researchers. "And the lab?" Lisa Xi asked, once she'd looked through the rooms.

He Zifeng shrugged. "I don't have clearance. The boss'll have to take you there."

Lisa Xi raised an eyebrow but didn't comment. The two women walked downstairs to the lobby, and there, Lisa Xi saw a new face.

The young man noticed her as well. "Lisa Xi, nice to meet you." He had a warm voice.

This was a handsome young man. Spirited. Ability user. Looked like he had some say around here. Lisa Xi curled her lips. "That's me. You are?"

"Lu Hao."

He Zifeng left after exchanging a nod with the boss. In the meantime, Lu Hao held out his hand for a handshake. Lisa Xi didn't take it. She drawled, "Ooh. So you're the one who sent me that email." Her gaze flicked up and down him. "You look so... ordinary. I thought you might look a bit more spiritual. Like a prophet." She spoke her words with a biting intensity.