CHAPTER SIX

AUGUST
ANTHONY

Landing back in Chicago, I look at the bright lights of skyscraper buildings shining through the night as we drive through the city. I miss it here. I'm glad to be home. The guys and I separated at the private airport, now I'm on my way back to my parents.

Walking through the double doors, all the lights are off. We decided to surprise everyone by coming back a few hours early. The only light is in the kitchen. I stroll through the lightly lit hallways and hear the sound of a baby's soft crying and moms soft murmurs. Confused about the sounds, I step in and see my mom at the kitchen carrying a boy in her arms softly soothing his cries.

"Hey mom, who's the baby?"

She lets out a little shriek, clutching her chest with her free hand. After realizing it's me, she scolds, "omg don't scare me like that. You're home earlier than I expected." She smiles up at me.

I chuckle at her reaction, walking up to her, kissing her cheek. I lean back and look down at the teary eyed boy, "So who is he?"

She smiles down at him, "This is Matteo, my grandson."

I choke on my own spit, and splutter, "I'm sorry, what? Did Elena get pregnant? Who's the bastard, I'll kill him." Clenching my fist.

She smacks my arm, "shush, he's not Elena's. He belongs to Anna."

I'm more confused than ever, waiting for her to continue.

"She's Amelia's friend. I fell in love with him, so I decided to adopt them both since she has no family."

"So let me get this right." She nods. "You adopted someone and their baby when I was away?"

She nods.

I sigh as I look down at him. He's staring up at me with wide curious eyes. He holds his arms out towards me.

"Take him." My mom states.

Giving in, I reach over and grab him. Holding him out in front of me. "He's cute." He giggles, and I see his dimples, pulling at my heartstrings. Holding him against my chest, his little fingers poke at my unshaven beard in curiosity. "How old is he?" I ask without looking away from him as he rests his head under my neck.

"He's 35 weeks, a little over 8 months." She says with a smile.

I look over at the time on the stove. It's 3am. "What's he doing up so late?"

"He was having trouble sleeping without his mama. It's her first night away from him."

I look over at her confused.

"She's a nurse, her schedule changed and she's working the night shift for a while."

I nod and look down at Matteo. I run soft circles on his back as his dark soft curls fall over his face as cuddles further into my chest. "He looks ready for bed now."

My mom tries to reach for him, but is unsuccessful when he whines "no, no, no!" With a pout on his face and tears forming.

"It's time for bed, Matteo." She coos at him.

"No!" He turns in my arms and wraps both arms around my neck, burrowing his face in between my shoulders. I chuckle at how cute he is.

"Hmph..." she shakes her head, and then a smile crosses her face. "Looks like he'll be sleeping with you tonight." She pats my shoulder, kissing my cheek and the back of Matteo's head.

"I don't know how to take care of a baby." I whine.

"He's easy. You'll figure it out." She waves me off. "And welcome home son, I'm happy you're back." With her last parting words, she's out of the room.