CHAPTER TWELVE

ANTHONY

After our third round in my bathtub, we're both freshly showered, laying in bed, her back pressed against me with my arms wrapped around her. I look down at her as she's sleeping peacefully in my arms. I never would've expected this outcome today, but nothing would ever make me want to take it back. Seeing her in my clothes just makes me want to claim her over and over again until there's nothing left of us, but I know she's tired. I told myself an hour ago that I'll let myself sleep soon, but I'm too scared to sleep. Afraid that if I wake up, it'll all be a dream.

I hear a soft knock at my door, gently untangling myself from her, careful not to wake her. I take quiet steps to my door, I kick my shoes and slacks from earlier behind the door before opening it. My dad stands there with a teary face, Matteo, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, he woke up crying for you guys." My dad bounces in his place trying to smooth him.

I reach over, taking him into my arms. "Thank you." Matteo rests his head under my chin as he sniffles.

My dad looks back and forth between us and shakes his head, "I can't believe I didn't see it before. He looks just like you when you were his age."

I looked down at him in my arms, "I can't believe I didn't see it either."

"I'm happy for you, you both have done an amazing job raising him. Your mom hasn't stopped crying happy tears since it came out." He smiles at me, "I'll let you guys get some rest, goodnight."

"Goodnight dad."

I softly close the door, and walk into my living room. I walk in circles for a bit before Matteo calms down. I rub his back and kiss his head. I whisper, "Mama is sleeping, we have to be very quiet so she can sleep okay?"

He nods his head in understanding.

Anna is still sleeping how I left her, I gently place Matteo down near her, and I watch as he turns and crawls into her arms. She automatically wraps her arms around him and pulls him to her chest. I walk around to the other side of the bed, quietly crawling under the covers. I wrap an arm around both of them, and only then, I allow myself to fall asleep.

A FEW HOURS LATER

I feel tiny hands poke at my face, I playfully bite them, and giggles fill the quiet room. A smile breaks out onto my face before I open my eyes. Matteo's sitting on top of my chest as he continues grabbing my face. I look over to see Anna is still sleeping beside me. I put a finger at my lips, motioning for Matteo to stay quiet. He closes his mouth in understanding. I carefully crawl out of bed with him in my arms.

After doing our business quietly in the bathroom, I shut the door to my bedroom and walked into my kitchen. "Are you hungry?"

"Hungry." He nods his head and pats his stomach. I kiss his cheek and start our regular routine, I place him into his high chair at my kitchen island, and start the coffee machine as I make him a small bowl of oatmeal. I place his bib on him, and place his oatmeal in front him, handing him his baby spoon. He digs in as I drink my coffee beside him. I smile as I watch him make a mess of himself.

I hear small footsteps, and my bedroom door opening. Still wearing my shirt, she takes tentative steps towards us. She pulls back Matteo's hair from his forehead and kisses the top of his head. She looks over at me with a shy smile. I take her hand and pull her into my legs, kissing her once, twice, three times before I turn her in my arms, pulling her into my chest. She relaxes herself against me as we both watch Matteo eat, paying us no mind.

I rest my chin on her shoulder, "Let's head home after we clean him up."

She lets out a quiet, "Okay." And looks away from me.