Imagining Kisses

Thursday afternoon was the third lunch where Kongpop didn't join us.

I didn't want to admit I was disappointed, but I was. I couldn't concentrate on anything my friends were saying - or well, what Bright was saying. On Thursdays, Bright had no problem talking for the four of us.

I took a bite of my sandwich. As I chewed, I looked at Bright and pretended I was listening to his D&D recap from last night. It's probably interesting. Bright was a very good storyteller. He used his face and hands when he talked, making expressions and gestures that drew you in.

Then, obtrusively, the questions popped into my mind.

Could I kiss Bright?

The question made more sense than thinking about Maprang, because the unanswered question remained: Do I like boys?

And Bright was a boy.

But as my eyes drifted to his lips, the only thing I thought was, Bright's lips are small.

I waited for something, anything, to happen inside my body, the famous warmth in my chest that so many books described, or maybe even the goosebumps I got when I kissed Kongpop.

But nothing happened. My chest remained bored.

I took another bite of my sandwich, and chewed.

-----------------

Friday afternoon, a second after I stepped outside the school building, Prae grabbed my arm and dragged me to her own car.

"You're coming with me," she said, her bat earrings glinting in the afternoon sun. "I need a movie night with you."

I knew movie nights with Prae usually included Harry Potter movies, popcorn, sweet wine, and endless conversations about Maprang.

Normally, I really liked movie nights with Prae. Except I had been looking forward to ride back with Kongpop.

I looked over my shoulder and saw him watch us in confusion, before sliding down the hood of his car and walking towards the driver's seat.

His shoulders were slumped down.

"Wait," I said. "I can't just walk away without an explanation." "I'll wait for you in the car!" Prae said.

There's no time to reply, not if I wanted to get to Kongpop before he drove off.

So I did something I rarely did at school.

I ran.

And it's a good thing I did too, because the car was reversing just as I pounded on the hood.

The car jerked to a stop. Through the
window, I could see Kongpop swear, eyes wide with shock, before he got out of the car.

"Sorry," I said immediately. "I can't drive back with you today. I'm going home with Prae."

"I mean, I saw that," he said, raking a hand through his hair. He still looked a little frazzled.

"Also, I'm sorry for pounding on your car."

"Hey, no need to apologise. If you want to go home with your girl, you can."

It's not a surprising assumption. It's not the first time anyone's made it, too. But it's the first time I minded.

Just a little.

"She's not my girlfriend."

"Oh, uh." Kongpop looked to the side, eyes darting away. "Sorry, I just thought..."