Chapter 4: Meeting Liu Yan

As Li Mei and Zhang Wei made their way back to the village after a successful day selling mushrooms in the city, they heard a cheerful voice calling out to them. "Li Mei! Zhang Wei! Is that you?"

They turned around and saw a young woman approaching them, her long hair tied up in a neat bun. It was Liu Yan, the daughter of the village chief, whom Zhang Wei had grown up with since childhood.

"Hello, Liu Yan," Li Mei greeted her with a polite smile.

Zhang Wei also greeted Liu Yan with a polite nod.

"It's been a long time since we've seen each other," Liu Yan said with a smile, ignoring the awkwardness in the air. "How have you been, Zhang Wei?"

"I've been well," Zhang Wei replied curtly. "I just got back from the military and now I'm a village cadre for the village security."

"That's great news," Liu Yan said, her eyes sparkling. "You must be very busy with your new job. Maybe we can catch up sometime and talk about old times."

Zhang Wei could sense the undercurrent of flirtation in Liu Yan's voice, and he felt uneasy.

"Sure, we can catch up sometime," Zhang Wei said, trying to sound non-committal. "But I'm very busy with my job right now, so it might be difficult to find the time."

Liu Yan's smile faltered a little, but she quickly recovered. "Of course, I understand. Well, it was nice seeing you both. Take care and have a good day."

With that, she waved goodbye and walked away, her long hair swishing behind her. Li Mei and Zhang Wei watched her go, both feeling a little relieved that the encounter was over.

"She's still the same as ever," Zhang Wei muttered under his breath. "Always trying to get my attention."

"Oh." Li Mei reacted. She really did not care about it. She had only known Zhang Wei for a few days and she currently has no feelings for him.

Also, even though it is the 1970s, there is still such a thing as a divorce. She can live her life without a man. She is an independent woman from the modern times!

Staying married to Zhang Wei in the future depends on his performance.

Of course she is getting fond of the twins now. But she can still support them even if she has no husband by her side.

It was already time for lunch when Li Mei and Zhang Wei got back home.

The twins were waiting for them at the door.

"Mom! Dad!" The twins called happily.

"Have you been good?" Li Mei asked while patting the twins' heads.

"Yes! Duoduo and Xiaoxiao have been good!"

Li Mei prepared to cook lunch. She decided on a simple dish for now as it was already lunch time.

She started chopping and slicing various vegetables for the chop suey she was preparing. She had picked up some fresh produce from the market in the city and was eager to make a nutritious and delicious meal for her family.

She heated up some oil in a wok and added in some garlic and onions, letting them sizzle for a few seconds before adding in the sliced carrots and cabbage. She then added in some sliced mushrooms and bean sprouts, stirring them around in the wok until they were cooked just right.

As she cooked, the aroma of the vegetables mixed with the garlic and onions wafted through the air, making her stomach rumble. She added in some soy sauce and sugar, giving it a nice savory flavor. Then, she took out the small amount of pork and sliced it into small pieces, adding it into the dish to provide some extra protein.

The chop suey was now ready, and Li Mei took it off the heat, spooning it into a large bowl. She set it on the dining table, along with some bowls and chopsticks.

"Dinner is ready!" she called out to her family, who were already gathering around the table.

Zhang Wei and the twins hurried over to the table, taking their seats and eagerly picking up their chopsticks. Li Mei smiled, feeling happy to see her family enjoying the meal she had prepared.

The chop suey was delicious, with the flavors of the vegetables and the pork melding together perfectly.

As they ate, the twins babbled happily, their little faces smeared with bits of food.

Zhang Wei then offered to wash the dishes as Li Mei had already cooked lunch.

He then set out for the village office. He had to deliver his reassignment letter to the village chief.

As he walked towards the village office, he spotted Liu Yan in the distance. She was walking towards him with a coy smile on her face.

"Zhang Wei, it's been a while. How have you been?" Liu Yan asked, her voice dripping with sweetness.

Zhang Wei felt a twinge of discomfort at her tone.

"I've been well, thank you," Zhang Wei replied curtly, trying to keep the conversation brief.

Liu Yan didn't seem to take the hint. She continued to walk alongside him, chatting away about the village and the changes that had occurred since he left for the military.

When they reached the village office, Zhang Wei showed the letter appointing him as the village security cadre to the village chief. The chief welcomed him warmly and congratulated him on his new position.

"Ah, Zhang Wei. Congratulations on your new job. We have been waiting for someone to fill that position for a while now. You can start your duties tomorrow. We have a meeting at the village hall at 9 am sharp. Make sure to be there on time."

Zhang Wei nodded respectfully and turned to leave the office.

Liu Yan stood off to the side, watching the exchange with interest.

"Zhang Wei, it's been a while since we've seen each other. How have you been?"

"I've been good, thank you for asking. I need to go now," Zhang Wei answered coldly, making his way to the door.

Liu Yan pouted and gave him a disappointed look, but Zhang Wei ignored her and left the office.

As the night fell, Li Mei and Zhang Wei settled in the kang, the twins sleeping between them. It was a tight fit, but they only have this one kang and the weather is cold so they could only all huddle together.

Li Mei was still unfamiliar with Zhang Wei so she really did not want to sleep beside him even if they are husband and wife.

Li Mei turned to Zhang Wei, her eyes showing an excited expression. "Zhang Wei, I've been thinking about our living conditions. Let's build a new house."

Zhang Wei looked at her, and neither agreed nor disagreed.

"We have a little money now so we can afford the brick house. A brick house would be more comfortable, warmer in the winter, and it would last longer than this mud house. Let's build four rooms, a kitchen, a dining room, and a toilet and bathroom inside the house."

"Whatever you want." Zhang Wei answered with a soft gaze at Li Mei.

Li Mei blushed and avoided eye contact.

"Okay! I'll draw up a plan for the house tomorrow and we can compute how much we need to spend. Let's sleep now."

Li Mei then turned her back on Zhang Wei and pretended to sleep.

Zhang Wei closed his eyes too, the corners of his mouth raised in a smile.