Chapter 6: The Herbalist's Treasure

After finishing their lunch, Zhang Wei helped wash the dishes, got ready for work, and left the house. He advised Li Mei to be careful when going up the mountains.

Li Mei made her way down the mountain path, a basket in her hand. She was on her way to collect herbs, just as she had planned earlier. The fresh air and the chirping birds were a welcome change from the cramped confines of their room.

The twins, Duoduo and Xiaoxiao, had insisted on coming along, and Li Mei was happy to have their company. As they walked, she pointed out different plants and explained their uses.

"Look, babies, this is wild chrysanthemum," Li Mei said, pointing to a bush with small yellow flowers. "It's good for treating fever and headaches. We can use it to make tea."

Duoduo and Xiaoxiao looked at the bush with curiosity. "Can we try some, Mom?" Duoduo asked.

"Of course," Li Mei replied with a smile. She plucked a few leaves from the bush and put them in her basket.

As they continued walking, Li Mei spotted some honeysuckle growing on the side of the path. She picked a few of the flowers and showed them to the twins. "This is honeysuckle. It's great for treating wounds and sore throats. We can also make tea with this."

Xiaoxiao sniffed the flowers and wrinkled her nose. "It smells weird, Mom."

Li Mei chuckled. "It might not smell the best, but it's very effective. It's one of the most important herbs we use in our practice."

As they walked further, Li Mei spotted some mint growing near a small stream. She picked some leaves and crushed them between her fingers. "This is mint. It's great for treating indigestion and nausea. We can also use it to freshen our breath."

Duoduo took a whiff of the mint and smiled. "It smells nice, Mom."

Li Mei nodded. "It does, doesn't it? It's one of my favorite herbs to use."

As they continued their walk, Li Mei showed the twins other plants and explained their uses. The twins listened with interest, occasionally asking questions.

"Mom, do we have to collect all these plants?" Xiaoxiao asked, looking at the basket Li Mei was carrying.

Li Mei nodded. "Yes, we need these plants to make our medicine. They're very important to us."

She also remembered to take some live plants so she can plant these herbs near their house. That way it would be more convenient for her to collect them later.

Meanwhile, Zhang Wei strode through the village, his eyes scanning the walls for any signs of weakness. He had been appointed as the village's security officer, a responsibility he took seriously. Liu Yan trailed behind him, watching his every move.

"Do you always walk the perimeter like this?" Liu Yan asked, her stomach rumbling.

Zhang Wei nodded. "Yes, I do it every day. It's important to make sure the walls are secure and there are no breaches."

Liu Yan's eyes flicked towards a nearby food stall, the aroma of cooking meat making her mouth water. "You must get hungry doing this every day. Why don't we stop and grab some food?"

Zhang Wei shook his head. "I don't need to eat right now. Security is more important."

Liu Yan frowned. "But you can't protect the village if you're starving. Come on, let's at least get some steamed buns."

Zhang Wei looked at Liu Yan coldly and answered, "You can eat by yourself if you want to. Don't disturb my work."

The people of the village security felt that this new village security cadre is very powerful to reject a beautiful woman like Liu Yan. He must really love his wife!