Chapter 3: Petty Reasons To Hate

Being the lover of the painfully good-looking Kim Taehyung was probably the dream of every girl, but it was Yeon Hayan's worst nightmare.

She? Falling in love with Taehyung? Ha! What a joke. Hayan scoffed, remembering Sara's obscene suggestion of the two of them getting together, as she drove down the road in a mad frenzy.

Hayan believed it was simply impossible for her to fall in love with somebody. She was anti-romantic. She hated love and she hated men. Taehyung, out of all men, was specifically detested the most. Reason? She wasn't sure.

Did people really need reasons to feel a certain way towards someone? One could look at someone and love them, and one could take a glance at the same person and absolutely hate them.

It was not difficult to love or hate, but Hayan found hating particularly easy.

When she thought about it enough, there were several things about Taehyung that irked her. She hated how he was better than her at everything. It was like he was perfect, flawless, the best man out there. Hayan couldn't help but feel like she'd grown to have an inferiority complex around Taehyung because she was seldom good at anything ever since she was young. He had better grades than her. He was better at sports. He was better looking. He had more 'productive' hobbies than Hayan.

Him. Him. Him. Everything was about him. She'd grown up seeing everyone admire him like he put the stars in the sky and she'd grown sick of that.

Hayan hated how he was put on a pedestal and praised endlessly while she stood on the side, watching silently.

Their parents were also to blame for the comparison done between the two which made Hayan despise Taehyung even more. And then his name, it was on everyone's tongue. His parents, her parents, her friends, her coworkers. There wasn't one person that disliked Taehyung. Everyone seemed to love him so much more than they loved Hayan, even her own parents.

She was always told to become like Taehyung. Growing up, she'd gotten tired of hearing 'Be brave like Taehyung', 'Be smart like Taehyung', and 'Be successful like Taehyung'. Hayan never felt like she was herself. Her parents had never even given her a chance to choose what she wanted to be. Instead, her life was forced into the mold of Taehyung's life and she was bound to follow in his steps as if she didn't have a will of her own.

She never felt like the main character of her own life. Her spotlight was always stolen by Taehyung. Her existence was overshadowed by his, and Hayan knew that wasn't fair to her.

While to some people, these might sound like petty reasons to hate someone, they were real to Hayan. That was how she had felt all her life. And if these were petty reasons, then petty reasons were all she ever needed to want to destroy Taehyung's ready-made glory.

He was arrogant, beautiful, and perfect. Hayan was utterly jealous of him.

If hating someone who is better than another individual makes that person petty, so be it, then Hayan was a petty woman, and she did not regret being that way.

As she parked her car in front of a bakery, her phone rang at the same time, as if on cue, and snapped Hayan out of her raging thoughts. She removed one of her hands from the steering wheel to grab her phone. Seeing Bora's contact number displayed on the screen, she picked up right away.

"Do you have any idea how terrible it was? He almost lost it in front of me!" Bora shrieked through the microphone just as Hayan put the phone against her ear. She winced, pulling the phone slightly away from her ear because Bora's shrill voice hurt her eardrum.

"Did he say he'd fire me?" She asked nonchalantly.

"No. But he looked like he wanted to strangle you to death." Bora clarified somewhat sarcastically.