Chapter 7: Pestering To Death

"Mom, why did you have to say that at the table?!"

The moment they were back at their house which was almost as large and fancy as a mansion, Hayan had exploded. Mrs. Yeon knew exactly what her daughter was talking about but she didn't seem to want to acknowledge it like usual.

"What do you mean?" Mrs. Yeon acted oblivious. She was walking off in the direction of her bedroom but Hayan strode forwards and stepped in front of her, blocking her way. She glared at her mother who had her poker face on. Mr. Yeon halted in his steps behind his wife and daughter, looking somewhat worried, as if he knew this conversation wasn't going to go well.

"Why did you suggest that Taehyung and I have something going on in front of Aunty and Uncle? I already told you I don't like Taehyung in that way. We're just friends." It was a half-lie. They were never truly friends but that was what everyone had always forced them to be. That was what they were supposed to be, according to Mrs. Yeon, and Hayan was always playing along with these roles that she was made to follow. At the end of the day, it was all pretend. Hayan did not consider Taehyung a friend. He had always felt more like a rival to her, somebody she had to constantly compete with. And since Taehyung was naturally more talented than her, she despised him. Hayan would never like someone who was better than her. She was petty like that.

"I suggested that because that's what's good for you—" Mrs. Yeon started pathetically but Hayan cut her off.

"Oh, please, you know nothing about what's good for me. Do you think being with Taehyung will be good for me? How can something I don't even want be good for me?"

"Watch your tone, Hayan," Mrs. Yeon said sternly, her cold eyes glaring into Hayan's face.

"Then explain how this is good for me!" Hayan pressed, tired of being talked down by her mother.

"You're not mature enough to understand my intentions. I'm doing this for you and your future. No one can ever provide you with the financial security that Taehyung can." Mrs. Yeon responded. Mr. Yeon shifted on his feet behind her as the tension in the hall increased.

"So that's what this is about? Money? Why is everything about money and financial security to you?" Hayan scoffed.

"Because I know what it is like to not be financially secure and I don't want you to ever experience that." Mrs. Yeon uttered, her voice louder this time. Hayan also wanted to raise her voice. She wanted to scream at her mother and tell her that this wasn't about financial security. Mrs. Yeon was just a greedy woman. She had always been that way. Hayan had watched it throughout her childhood as Mrs. Yeon had never hesitated to show her ugly side to a child. No matter what came out of Mrs. Yeon's mouth, it had always been about money. Hayan had watched the greed being born and increasing with every year as if the ticking hands of the clock were boosters to her hunger for money.

"Why do I need to be with Taehyung for money when we are wealthy ourselves?" Hayan raised another question but Mrs. Yeon seemed too agitated to answer this time. She gave Hayan an angry look as if telling her that she was done with this conversation, then looked away and walked off. Hayan wanted to stop her mother as she watched her stomp off, her high heels clacking loudly, but some child-like part of her was still secretly afraid of her mother's anger. A part of her still shook when her mother shouted. Although, Hayan was now capable of shouting back but it still took her plenty of courage to do that. She was trying to grow out of it though, this fear, this habitual suppression. She was not a child anymore, she told herself every day, but she still somehow felt like a child most of the time, and she hated it, she hated it more than anything.

"It was just a suggestion, Hayan, don't worry. Your mother will forget about it in a few days." Mr. Yeon reassured Hayan when his wife was out of sight.