Chapter 4: Hungry "Wedding Night"

There were no guests who came to help remove the phoenix coronet on the first day of their marriage. In fact, no one even bothered to bring dinner to this young couple. Xiao Jingheng explained that the outer court was celebrating the union of the Huaiyang Prince's Manor and the Wuding Marquis's Manor, leaving them, the young couple who were just used as pawns in this political marriage, completely ignored.

Hungry and frustrated, Shangguan Jing went to the courtyard to try to find someone to bring them food, but she found that they were locked inside. She pounded on the door and called out for help, but no one responded.

"What should we do?" Shangguan Jing turned to Xiao Jingheng. "Do you have any food in your courtyard?"

"I'm sorry," Xiao Jingheng apologized. "The outer court is having a banquet tonight, and the kitchen is too busy. They probably forgot about us."

"Are you often forgotten by them?" Shangguan Jing turned around, crossed her arms, and puffed up like a little teapot.

"Not often," Xiao Jingheng shook his head. "Just occasionally."

"Just occasionally," Shangguan Jing rolled her eyes bluntly. "No wonder you're so skinny, like a bean sprout."

She stormed back to their new room, took out the small purse that Shangguan Yuan had given her before leaving, and dumped its contents on the table. The purse couldn't fit much, just some loose silver, two pearl flowers, and a few good quality pearls. It seemed like Shangguan Yuan had hurriedly gathered some valuable and small jewelry to give to her.

"The noble daughter of a prestigious family has a set monthly allowance, and her jewelry all has a source. Seeing these things, Shangguan Jing knew that Shangguan Yuan had actually done her best. But money can't be eaten, and it seems like they'll have to go hungry for this meal. However, seeing these pieces of jewelry reminded Shangguan Jing of something.

"I'm asking you," Shangguan Jing raised her head and looked at Xiao Jingheng, "before I came, have you seen anything else brought in? They wouldn't have left out my dowry, would they?"

Xiao Jingheng didn't answer, and the two children looked at each other in silence. Shangguan Jing felt so angry that her liver hurt, and couldn't help but curse: "What a bastard! Is it really their intention to let me leave and fend for myself without a dowry or any accompanying gifts?!"

"Don't worry," Xiao Jingheng hurriedly tried to calm Shangguan Jing down, his forehead sweating with anxiety. "Let's make do for today, and tomorrow I'll talk to Concubine Xu and ask her to assign you a maid. If you...if you're afraid to sleep alone tonight, I can put together a stool and sleep outside the door. Don't be afraid, everything will be okay."

Looking at Xiao Jingheng, Shangguan Jing suddenly felt like she was regressing mentally, as if she needed an eight-year-old child like Xiao Jingheng to console her. She had already crossed over when she was twenty years old and was an adult, but after coming to this new place and turning into a child, she felt like her mental capacity had regressed. Now, she was the one tied to Xiao Jingheng, a lonely child, and she was the one who should bear more responsibility and take care of her younger brother. How had the situation been reversed?

"I'm fine." After self-reflection, Shangguan Jing calmed down. "I'm not afraid either. I'm sorry I scared you with my outburst. I'm just very worried about my maid. And with the two of us kids stuck here, without any resources in our hands, how are we going to live in the future? I'm just a little worried."

"Our courtyard is very quiet," Xiao Jingheng sighed with relief, and smiled at Shangguan Jing: "If we don't go out often, no one will come to bother us."

"Forget it, let's talk about it tomorrow if there's anything." Shangguan Jing went to open the cabinet and took out a quilt. "Come on, let's go to the study and I'll make your bed. Let's go to bed early tonight since there's no dinner. As for washing up... forget it, let's just make do for today."

Xiao Jingheng carried the bedding in front, and Shangguan Jing followed behind with the mattress. Both children were small in stature, and the rolled-up bedding looked even bigger than them. The bedroom and the study were only a few steps away, but both of them were panting.

"Ah, my body is really not good." Shangguan Jing, who was once known as an active couch potato before crossing over, pinched her own thin little arms. "Lack of exercise, too weak, not even a trace of muscle."

"What?" Xiao Jingheng didn't hear what she said clearly, and turned around with a puzzled look, asking her, "Do you want to eat chicken?"

"I don't want to eat it," Shangguan Jing shrugged her shoulders. "I'm just wondering how you are so short. You're eight years old and still not taller than me."

Xiao Jingheng's face turned red, as his dignity as a little man seemed to be challenged, but he still had good self-restraint and didn't argue with the mouthy Shangguan Jing. Instead, he turned around and started to make his own bed. His movements were very skilled, as if he often took care of himself.

"I'm seriously discussing this issue with you," Shangguan Jing tugged at Xiao Jingheng's sleeve. "Don't be angry. I just want to ask if they mistreat you in terms of food. Do you have enough to eat?"

"Food..." Xiao Jingheng thought for a moment and answered, "It's okay. We have fixed meals, and I eat whatever is cooked in the main kitchen."

"Really?" Up Guanjing looked skeptical. Xiao Jingheng looked a bit too thin, and she really suspected that this child was malnourished. Before she transmigrated, the little boy next door was about seven or eight years old, and he was much taller and stronger than Xiao Jingheng.

"Other than three meals, do you have any snacks or sweets during your free time?" Up Guanjing asked again.

"No," Xiao Jingheng shook his head honestly. "Mama said that the imperial family's offspring shouldn't develop the bad habit of snacking, which would be laughed at by others."

"Nonsense!" Up Guanjing was getting angry again. "The young masters of those noble families often have tea and snacks on their desks. Why? Is it against the rules of the imperial family's offspring to eat properly? Don't the Emperor and Empress have snacks in addition to their three meals a day?"

"I just listened to her without really believing it," Xiao Jingheng answered calmly. "But it's true that there were very few snacks in this courtyard before. Maybe things will be different with you here. Um...uh...sis...Sister Jing...you..."

"Call me sister!" Up Guanjing cut off Xiao Jingheng's words decisively. "I already told you, I'm older than you, so call me sister."

"Okay..." Good-tempered Xiao Jingheng didn't want to argue with Up Guanjing. He obediently followed her wishes. "Sister Jing, there are many things here that may be different from what you're used to at home. You may need to adjust for a while. I'm really sorry. It's my fault."