3- Denial

3

Third POV

Mia arrives at her apartment with Christian. It's already too late. She opens the door and takes a long breath, wishing she doesn't see Sally and Smith right now. There's no sign of them in the living room so she thanks God for it. She puts Christian who is deep in sleep, in his crib and comes to watch some TV. The amount of anxiety pressing on her chest is unbelievable. She closes her eyes and tries to relax the way she has been taught by her therapist.

Inhale long, keep it in for a few seconds and then exhale long. It's working. She needs to get all the stress out. Nothing will go wrong. No matter the identity of her baby's father, everything will be fine. She has survived far worse. She will survive this.

Oliver sees her sleeping on the couch and fists his hands. Does he wish this morning had not happened? Or is he relieved that the secret is finally out? This state of unsureness is killing him. He doesn't know if Mia really heard him.

He gets closer to Mia and watches her as she has closed her eyes. The volume of the TV is loud, so he decides to decrease it.

Something brushes against her arm, and she opens her eyes. Oliver's face is two inches away from hers.

She screams, and Oliver jumps back. After a few seconds, she screams again and Oliver looks at her in confusion. "What was the second shout for?" Oliver asks.

Mia gulps and wipes the drool of her mouth. After she gains her senses, she fixes her posture.

"What were you doing?" she asks.

Oliver steadies himself with the edge of the table and stands properly. "I was trying to get the remote from your side to turn off the TV!"

Mia looks at the remote, which is still on the couch. "Fuck. You scared the shit outta me."

"Why are you so scared of me?"

"I'm not scared of you. I was watching something important."

"The wild documentary?"

Mia looks at the TV and sees the monkeys jumping around the jungle. "Yes. This is the episode where the monkey sticks his banana up his friend's ass," she says.

"Well, scooch over. Let me watch it with you."

"You wanna watch monkeys with me?"

He sits by her left side, feeling courageous. Maybe this isn't going to end badly. "Why not?" he says, not looking at her. "If there's a banana and an ass involved."

"Sure. Cause you like doing it like monkeys with every female or male monkey you see."

Oliver's blood goes cold. "What?" he asks, looking at her.

"Nothing." Mia looks back at the TV as she has crossed her arms and tries to be as silent as she can.

The wild documentary is pretty concerning. Every animal is trying to survive a predator, and it's funny how you change sides when the narrator changes their point of view. You want the deer to live, but also want the lion to live. The lion needs to eat the deer to survive, so really, who is to blame here? The lion for hunting? The deer for being a prey? Or the cameraman for secretly filming the violent scene of the lion biting on the deer's ass.

Oliver thinks that maybe this is the best time to come clean with Mia. She has obviously suspected something. Otherwise, she wouldn't act so strange. He takes a deep breath and decides to break the ice.

Suddenly Mia sees Oliver's hand getting closer to her. She turns her head to look at him, his body's getting closer to her too.

She grabs his hand and stops it. "Take your banana away from me."