|| Prologue ||

"You've really set him up for tribulation, huh?" Contrasting her negative words, Dewspring smiled. 

"It's hardly because of me," Dancingleaf retorted. "It's not my fault at all."

"I know," the brown tabby replied, "I'm only pulling your tail. Of course you wouldn't have known you chose an awful mate." Dewspring sighed. "Besides," she continued, "you did everything right while you were pregnant. Sure Snowkit came out a bit small and weak-"

"A bit?" Dancingleaf cocked her head. "He almost died, and you say only a bit?" She spat those words out, staring intensely at the ground. "I know what you're trying to do Dewspring but believe me, it's not going to work. Not this time." The grey molly snarled, "While your kits are strong and healthy, mine is weak. Yours will bring something to our Clan. My kit will not. We are not the same."

Dewspring stared at her with concern. "You may feel like this, but don't raise your son harshly, Dancingleaf. Don't do that to him." 

Dancingleaf met Dewspring's gaze with woe. "What difference would it make, anyway? I'd rather not get attached before it's too late for me. Call me selfish, but I'm not ready to lose another part of myself." She paused. "If he doesn't die then he'll need to be tough. He won't get tough if I don't raise him 'harshly.' Nothing you say will convince me to change my approach. I've already made up my mind."