|| Chapter 1 ||

With unsheathed claws, Snowkit drew lines in the compacted, dry earth. He was sitting alone, as per usual. It didn't bother him too much: after all, he considered himself an introvert. So, there he was, in the back of the nursery entertaining himself. 

Once bored and unsatisfied, the tomcat walked over to his mother, Dancingleaf. The grey molly was facing one of the nursery's walls, her tail curtly flicking around her paws. Nothing out of the ordinary, Snowkit thought, groaning. "Mother," he murmured, "may I take a mouse from the freshkill pile?" He was only allowed to leave the nursery with permission.

"I don't care," Dancingleaf hissed in response. "Do what you want." With her paw, the molly roughly nudged Snowkit away. 

Collecting himself, the white tomcat nodded, approaching the exit of the nursery. However, he abruptly halted when he heard a voice call his name. He turned, seeing Stonekit wave his tail towards him. Snowkit gave a small smile, trotting over to the dark grey spotted tomcat. 

"I noticed you're leaving the nursery," Stonekit said, gliding a paw over his ear. "For what?"

"For a mouse," Snowkit replied. "A little bird once told me that eating helps you grow," Snowkit chuckled, referring to Stonekit, "and I'm desperately in need of growing."

Although evidently confused for a few moments, once Stonekit realised Snowkit was referring to him his blue eyes lit up. "Oh, really? I would've never guessed!" After a few moments the grey tomcat stood up. "I'll go get it for you," he declared. "I was already going there, anyway. Notice how we're the only kits in here right now? Might as well eat the boredom away." With that he turned away and started to walk out of the nursery.

Snowkit sighed, sitting down. Out of all the other kits, Stonekit was the kindest to him. Be that as it may, there was often an awkward silence when the two tried to converse; although, that was often the case no matter who he or Stonekit were talking to. Yet almost always, the conversations would end in Stonekit's rants about medicine. 

It's not fair, Snowkit thought, that I'll be forced to be a medicine cat. I might be tiny but I can learn to fight! As he continued to ruminate, he noticed that a few minutes must have passed. Where's Stonekit? He's been gone for too long to just be taking freshkill. 

After stretching, the white tomcat started to walk towards the nursery's exit. As he approached it, he nearly knocked into the two kits entering. "Oh, Snowkit!" one of them exclaimed. "I was looking for you." 

Oh no, not this! Snowkit pinned his ears against the side of his head, backing away. "I wasn't doing anything, I've been here this entire time!" he tried reasoning. However, as expected, he was met with a body barreling into him and sending him crashing to the ground. He felt claws dangerously close to his throat, embedding his skin. His mother was still facing the nursery wall, ignoring the scene. A little bit of help, please?!

"When you say stuff like that it makes it sound like you're up to no good. Jeez, be more careful," Kestrelkit huffed. "You're so stupid, seriously. So puny, too. I could kill you right now and there'd be nothing you could do about it 'cause you're so puny!" Contrasting from what he was saying, Kestrelkit had a grin upon his face.

The kit he entered the nursery with, Nightkit, kept his eyes wavering between the aggressor and the victim. Silently, the black tomcat slunk out of the nursery, returning a few moments later with Bramblekit and Fernkit. By then, Snowkit and Kestrelkit were still in the same position, with Kestrelkit continuing to verbally tear at Snowkit.

"Oh my, what's going on?" Fernkit's voice was full of concern as she stared at Snowkit and Kestrelkit. The molly glanced at the cowering Bramblekit, "Why are tomcats so violent? You've scared poor Bramble!" Padding forward, the diluted calico forcefully shoved Kestrelkit off of Snowkit. "I would've expected more from you, Kestrel. But, you always do this, so-"