17. A super deadly hang-out

•◦ *:・゚*:・゚ ◦•

ADELA

•◦ *:・゚*:・゚ ◦•

She should have killed Mason Ray when she had the chance.

If she had just been able to finish the job that night in Texas, then Marion wouldn't have been forced to do it herself.

It had been so dark in the labyrinth. Adela could see in the dark. Marion couldn't. Adela had gotten a full view of Mason as he fell into the pit. He'd been in pain - a lot of pain. That didn't surprise her. That night in Texas, Mason had told her that dying by a slit throat was painful, and if the killer wasn't experienced it was long. Marion wasn't experienced, and Adela knew she hadn't made it quick. For Marion's sake, that was a secret Adela would take to the grave.

On the way back from the labyrinth, Marion had looked... Adela couldn't form the words to describe how horrible Marion had looked. One thing Adela had always loved looking at was Marion's eyes. She was a little embarrassed at how long it had taken her to figure out why. Those slate-grey eyes didn't hold anything back. When Marion was happy, those eyes crinkled at the sides, and when she was angry, they seemed to pierce into Adela like a knife. Marion's eyes didn't hide anything from the world. Adela wondered if Marion knew just how honest her eyes were.

When Marion was excited, they shone with glee. That day in the labyrinth, the only thing that Marion's eyes had shone with was tears.

The first thing Adela had done when she was alone in the forest of Camp Half-Blood was throw up all over the shrubbery.

Then she'd waited until nightfall and snuck around the circle of cabins to the big house, where her hands couldn't hurt anyone ever again. It was almost a relief. This way, Adela didn't have to say anything to Marion. What could she say? She couldn't tell Marion she was sad Mason was dead. It would be a lie, and they would both know it. She couldn't say that she was sorry that Marion was in pain. No matter how true that was, all the truth in the world wouldn't make Marion's pain go away. It wouldn't bring Mason Ray back. Nothing would. Mason couldn't ever come back. Maybe that was the only silver lining here. But if Adela told Marion that, then it would break her.

Maybe she could tell Marion why Mason had been in Texas in the first place. Would that help her? Was it better to be sad, or angry? Did it even matter? Neither of those would bring Marion peace.

Maybe it was best to say nothing. At least then, Adela couldn't make things worse. Even that stupid Calla Lily had made things worse. Adela loved flowers. All plants, really. She had for as long as she could remember. Her Dad had taught her about them when she was young. He'd told her about the Greek and Latin names, but Adela had only ever been able to remember the Latin ones. She'd been so proud of herself for remembering the Greek meaning of Calla Lilies when she found a patch of them in the forest. But she hadn't realised they also meant death. Somehow, no matter how hard Adela tried, the only thing she managed to pass on was death.

So it was really a good thing that she was in the big house. Adela had to remind herself that.

Because she hated it here.

Chiron had been kind. He'd looked like he'd been hit with a chariot when he opened up the door to find Adela standing there, but he'd still been kind. He'd given her a room in the attic. There was even a soft little cat bed under the drawers for Gladys, not that the kitten used it. The little thing was too scared to sleep without Adela, and Adela couldn't sleep anymore without hugging the cat to her chest like a baby. Chiron even got up early to make her breakfast every morning, before he went to the dining pavilion. Adela didn't know he knew how to cook Spanish food, but it turned out, the centaur made a mean tortilla. He'd only given her one rule: don't go near the Oracle of Delphi. Adela was very happy to comply.