26. Blood in the Lethe

Apollo looked almost exactly like he had on Olympus last winter. Same golden-rimmed sunglasses which Mari was pretty sure he didn't even need because he was literally the god of the sun. Same laid-back posture, except instead of lounging on his throne, her father was leaning against the side of the doorframe, swinging the golden keys to his sun chariot around in his left hand as if he owned the place. Mari glanced behind Apollo, and sure enough, a shiny red Maserati was parked across two parking spaces that Naomi definitely didn't own. The only difference was that Apollo seemed to have traded his gold button-down shirt for a metallic suit of the same colour. Probably the kind of thing Rachel Elizabeth Dare would love to borrow for one of her art protests.

"So, can I come in?" He gave Naomi an expectant grin.

"...How can I refuse?" Naomi asked.

"Great!" Apollo didn't seem to notice that it had sounded like a genuine question. He put his chariot keys into his front pocket and strolled in, towards Mari and Will.

"I'm sure my presence must be overwhelming," he said to Will. "I will understand if you let out a few tears of joy. It's a natural response. When Mari first met me, she only barely managed to hold back tears. Ah, ah, ah!"

Apollo grinned and shook his head as Mari opened her mouth to respond.

"Don't deny it, sunshine. I'm sure you thought you were subtle. It was adorable. But please, Will, if you need a minute for your mind to comprehend how awesome I am, then-"

"Let's take this into the kitchen!" Naomi swerved around Apollo and put a hand on Mari and Will's shoulders, steering them away from the entrance. "Whatever this is..."

She said that part under her breath.

"Apollo, would ya be so kind as to shut the door?"

"Huh? Oh, sure! You're right, I am incredibly kind, so of course I will."

Apollo's grin faltered for a half second, before it came back in full-force and he went to close the door.

They headed back into the kitchen and sat down. Mari fiddled with her thumbs. Why, of all times, did Apollo turn up now? He didn't lift a finger every time Mari had begged him for help. He didn't lift a finger for Mason. He didn't lift a finger when Lee was dying...

"Do you still have any of that raspberry iced tea you used to make?" Apollo called from the hallway. Naomi grabbed Mari and Will's half-finished glasses of raspberry tea from the table and put them in the fridge, closing it just as Apollo walked in.

"I just checked," she said. "We're fresh out."

"Never mind!"

Apollo shrugged, bright smile back in place. "I have a stash of nectar in my glovebox anyway. Tastes almost the same. Listen, I know you must all be devastated to hear this, but I don't have a lot of time to stay and chat. It's midday soon; I have to stay en route over the equator." He turned to Mari. "I already had to speed up from Long Island after I searched for you at Camp Half-Blood, sunshine. Chiron pointed me this way. Why are you here, anyway?"

Mari dug her nails into her palms. He- he didn't even know, did he? He hadn't even bothered to check.

"I-" She gulped. What was she meant to say?

"I, um-"

"She lives here," Naomi said. "I think the better question is, what are you doing here, Apollo?"

"Oh." Apollo's smile disappeared. "That's more of a... private conversation. It's probably best to keep this between me and my daughter."

Mari wondered if she'd misheard him for a second. Was he talking about what she thought he was talking about? He... he couldn't be, could he?