09

You push open the heavy front doors the next morning knowing that you're about to receive the scolding of a lifetime. About an hour earlier, your phone had dinged with a text from none other than Namjoon himself, stating that your presence was required at his office as soon as you arrived.

He's seen the tapes, no question about it.

The silence that fills the pristine office when you close the door behind you is uncomfortable. Hoseok is there, as well, leaning on the side of the dark, wooden desk that Namjoon sits behind.

If there's anything you feel bad about, it's stealing his key card, and you can only hope that they deep down understand that you only did what you felt was necessary.

When it becomes clear that they're not going to initiate the conversation, just stare at you with disappointed looks, you drop your shoulders and exhale heavily. If they fire you, then they fire you; that's the risk you took. At least the siren's still alive and seems to be doing better.

"I'm sorry," you break the silence with a calm and steady voice. "Not for doing what I did but for doing it behind your backs. I had to see him, and I had to be alone."

Surprisingly, Namjoon sighs deeply and then starts to chuckle. His laughing increases in volume and has a hint of desperation to it. He must've been extremely stressed out, you realize with a guilty heart.

"I can't believe you went back! No offense but I don't think I've met anyone dumber," he exclaims, hands shooting out dramatically.

While not being the reaction you expected, it's certainly better than being yelled at angrily, that's for sure.

"And I can't even be mad, because you're safe, and it worked! You went in there, got him to talk to you, apologize no less, and to eat from your hand, for what? A cheeseburger and some fries?!"

He blinks wildly with his eyebrows raised, trying to convey just how ridiculous he considers the situation.

"So, I'm not... fired?" you ask in disbelief.

"Nah," he leans back in his chair and licks his lips before pointing a finger at you. "I really should fire you, though. Stealing Hoseok's card?"

At the mention of his name, you glance at Hoseok nervously, fidgeting with your hands. You can see that he too has been mostly worried, not angry. Tomorrow you're going to bring him his favorite pastries as an apology.

"...but it seems like we need you."

"Yeah, we've had him for weeks and didn't even know that he could speak. Imagine what he could tell us!" Hoseok adds, not even trying to conceal his newfound excitement.

"So I think we should update your job assignments and come up with a plan concerning the siren's treatment, so that we, in the end, can let him go," Namjoon dips his hand into his pocket, searching for something. "Unless you'd rather keep singing for Ila and Sam, that is?"

You scoff at his teasing smirk and grab your new key card from his outstretched hand. "Maybe I can do both?"

You, Hoseok, and Namjoon spend about an hour in Namjoon's office coming up with said treatment plan. The goal is for the siren to be healthy enough to be let out at sea, you just have to figure out how to get there.

At the beginning of your meeting, you're feeling nothing but positive. He's never seemed all that injured to you anyway, so maybe he's already healed up? In that case, all you have to do is keep him as happy as possible and make sure he eats. He really needs to gain back some weight.

At the end of the meeting, though... You're not sure what to think.

For starters, you all acknowledge that you need to somehow convince the siren to let Hoseok examine him, so you know what you're dealing with. Your best shot at making that happen... is you.