03 ~ New Beginnings

It was almost 11 PM when Mini and Bondita reached Tulsipur. They stopped in front of Mini's house and the lights were still on.

Even the Roy Choudhary Haveli was lit up.

Mini was a bit scared, but she felt somewhat courageous because Bondita was with her.

She knocked on her house's door and Dida opened up. Shock was an understatement when she saw Bondita carrying two trunks.

She let them in and asked them to go to Roy Choudhary Haveli as Mini's father was there, worried about her.

Bondita followed Mini to Roy Choudhary Haveli and they stepped inside hesitantly.

"Aha! Bhaumik, your daughter has come! Aaiye Rani sahiba." Trilochan remarked sarcastically.

Bhaumik and Anirudh threw a slew of questions at Mini and Anirudh outright started blaming her for the delay which kept them awake all night.

"Oh hello. It is only 11 PM not 6 AM, okay. And we women always take time to talk about everything happening around us. Not like you guys who would do an eye-to-eye or a telepathic communication. The situation was such that it made us come late."

"What was the situation Miss?" Anirudh asked.

"That's none of your business." Bondita retorted back.

Anirudh glared at Mini. She didn't open her mouth and talk about him to her best friend?

"O-okay. Leave that. Why did you ask me to leave? What's wrong if a young man sits and talks with two young women? Will there be a catastrophe?" Anirudh asked again, gulping.

"Oh, I'm sure of one thing. I and Mini are young, but you aren't young."

Anirudh kept glaring at Bondita. How dare she disrespect him like that? And his childhood friend Mini was in a laughing fit. And so was the others, including Bihari and Koyeli.

In between his laughter, Kaka told to Bihari, "Naak katwaye hai hamare Chhote Malik."

That made everyone laugh even harder. Toning down his laughter, he asked Bhaumik to leave with both Mini and Bondita.

The ones who never stopped laughing were Som and Batuk, his brothers. Anirudh walked away to his study huffing and shut the door.

He couldn't stop thinking about the forlorn look in Bondita's eyes. Something had happened. No wonder his question struck a nerve.

Not thinking too much, he went to his room to retire for the night. He couldn't take his mind off the fact that Bondita looked well-educated and knew what was needed for her.

Here, Bondita couldn't sleep. She relayed the events that happened a few hours back. Still reeling from the hurt, Bondita sat on the balcony.

Unbeknownst to her, she fell asleep on the terrace itself, sleeping in a fetal position to fight the cold off.

*

*

The next morning, she woke up in an unfamiliar bed.

Coming to her senses, she realised that it was Mini's house and she'd stayed for the night. Just then she remembered that her Maa had kicked her out for not bailing out Devoleena, Sundaram and Sampoorna.

After Bondita brushed her teeth and refreshed, Mini bought her coffee that she usually drinks and then gets ready for the day.

Clad in a beautiful pinkish-lavender salwaar kameez, Bondita is all set to leave for Chandan Nagar.

"Bondita, I-, I have this habit of going to the Haveli to seek blessings of Durga Maa and Anirudh's Kaka. Would you mind coming with me? I'd understand if you don't want to come."

Bondita took a minute or so to think.

"Its okay. I'll accompany you. Let me do something for a change. I'll take Durga Maa's blessings and then go ahead with my work."

Mini was elated. One thing she loved about Bondita was that she thought positively about everything. She had a little altercation with Maa Durga because of the situation in her house, but the fact that she was ready to start from the beginning was something that surprised Mini.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Bondita. You just made my day. I hope Durga Maa gives you the happiness you deserve!" Mini squealed and hugged.

And that's how Bondita ended up in Roy Choudhary Haveli and bumped into a very grumpy Anirudh.

He just turned his face and walked away. Bondita too didn't read much into it and walked off as the Mandir had been readied for the Morning Aarti.

Kaka came and did the Aarti, chanting hymns in praise of Maa Durga. Bondita felt it was relaxing and felt a bit strange that she felt that way.

Taking the Prashad offered to the Goddess after the Aarti, Bondita went on her way back to Chandan Nagar when Kaka stopped Mini.

"Mini beta, why don't you give the Prashad to Anirudh? You know, he doesn't come out at all."

"Okay Kaka, I'll make sure he'll eat it."

Mini then dragged Bondita and they went into a now open study. They saw that Anirudh was sitting at his desk and there were papers strewn all over the study table.

"Anirudh, what is this? Right in the morning, going through case papers? You need a breathe of fresh air."

"Mini, I've been working on this case for 5 days, I have 2 more days as the deadline. I need to complete this somehow."

"Can you ask your senior to give-"

"I've asked him countless times! Begrudgingly he agreed and gave 5 days extra Mini!"

"Okay then. But, take this Prashad. Kaka wanted you to eat this."

"Mini, you know I don't believe in God."

"Maybe, I can help you with the case, but you'll eat this first." Bondita spoke up behind Mini and Anirudh stared at her, mouth agape.

She took the perfect opportunity and forced the laddoo into his mouth, "Now chew it." She said and held his mouth shut until he swallowed the Prashad.

As he swallowed like an obedient child, Bondita exclaimed, "Oh, now that's good. May God bless you beta!"

Now it was Mini's turn to be shocked. What she couldn't do for years, Bondita did it in a second. How? Just how? Mini wondered.

Mini ate her prashad as they walked out of the RC Haveli. Bondita started her car and they were off to Chandan Nagar.

***

Phew! This was an another long chapter.

How did you like Anirudh-Bondita's interactions? And who is Anirudh's senior Barrister?

Any guesses?

Comment your guesses in the comment section.