𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

It wouldn't be long now

Huxley would come. The two of us would fight. It would all be over soon. In an empty alley, I made sure the bottle was safely strapped to my waist. It was still dark out, but it wouldn't be long until the sun would rise once more. With Oliver's help, I was able to do the proper research needed to execute my... plan... properly. I obviously couldn't use my cellphone at all times, so I was given a watch to keep track of the time. I knew when I would need to do what I needed to do. I couldn't let that time slip by me.

The watch did a lot more than just tell me the time. It kept track of my vitals. I didn't know much, but I was informed that Catherine would be monitoring them from some sort of tablet device she had. I wasn't a science person, so I had no clue what Catherine was talking about when she explained it to me. Maybe Mimi would've understood, but I couldn't tell her without compromising my plan. It was bad enough that Zee knew, even though she was mute.

Finally, the watch was also connected to some sort of drone that had a camera attached to it. At first, I had no idea what the point of it was, but I was told that it was for "research purposes", whatever that meant. I assumed they were simply testing new inventions on me and called it a day. I found it interesting at how advanced technology had become over the last three years despite the infection. I was curious if it would be even more advanced if it didn't happen.

I also did a bit of writing in my journal, too. I ended up reading the first pages of my story again, and I smiled at the thought of how much I'd grown ever since I was left to fend for myself back in the forest. There wasn't much to add to my writings other than the destruction of the lab and my altercation with my older sister, who seemed obsessed with the idea of getting me to join The Insolence. As if I'd ever do that, though.

After I wrote the final few words and taped the last few pictures, I realized that I hit the final two pages. One was occupied with a photo, while the other had writing in it. I found it ironic given the position I was in. I let out a sigh before closing the journal and putting it and the pen I wrote with in the messenger bag next to me. I was about to close it, but then it hit me. "Right..." I informed myself as I lifted my hand up to the locket around my neck. "I can't have this with me, then..."

I took the piece of jewelry off my neck and glanced at the heart charm that hung to the chain. I allowed my fingers to brush against the gold for a few seconds before opening it. The picture inside was starting to get a bit yellow and worn, but it was still as clear as day. For as long as I could remember, that photo was the only thing that kept me grounded. The only thing that kept me sane. And now, for the greater good, a concept I've heard over a thousand times, I had to let it go.

I had to let it go in order to let myself go.

I wrapped the chain around the journal and made sure it was secured before closing my bag up. After hoisting the bag over my shoulder, I snuck by the civilians, who were evacuating the area due to the risk of Huxley appearing. Some of Liam's soldiers were assisting the evacuation, others carried the bodies of the deceased to another location, and very few, Liam included, stayed to wait for Huxley. I made my way through the crowd until I reached Georgie and his family once more.