𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨

"I normally don't do this to other people

"I normally don't do this to other people..."

Huxley lifted his fingers.

"...but for you... I'll do anything. It's the least I can do after what this world has done to you."

He snapped his fingers, and suddenly, we were back on the streets in Lucella. However, things weren't exactly the same as they were on the other side of the portal. Back where Georgie and the others were. Things were... different. One of the most obvious things was the fact that instead of the full moon, an Insolence eye was in the sky, spreading its light throughout the foggy, black streets. When I glanced behind me, I noticed the portal was still there.

"What was her name again... Catherine, right?" Huxley asked, grabbing my attention once more. "Doesn't she seem rather... old? frail? She's the one who's been watching you through your own eyes, yes?" My heart stopped in my chest at his words. He knew. How did he know? I could've sworn he had his back turned! My breathing grew slightly heavier as my nails began to dig crescent moons into my palms. "If he knows about that..." I thought to myself. "...then, what else does he know?"

My behavior caused Huxley to laugh. It took everything I had in me not to pull out my gun and shoot him right then and there. I knew that it wouldn't do anything to harm him, but at least it would shut him up for a few seconds. He wiped a fake tear from one of his black and orange eyes. "Look at you, darling. Lucinda Grace Emerson, the one who everyone is counting on, shivering in fear," He mocked. "Oh, how I wish my father could see us now. Then he would understand just how powerful I am." He sighed happily.

"Don't worry, Lucinda. I don't mind your friends watching. They deserve to witness you crumble and fall."

A confused expression formed on my face, but it was quickly ignored when Huxley clapped his hands together. "Now, where was I... oh, yes! That cheetah!" He seemed to realize before chuckling and shaking his head. "I certainly owe her one. If not for her and what she did, I would've never been able to convince Michael and Sophia to join me." My... my parents? What was he talking about? I knew that Catherine always acted cold to me before, but I figured it was just because of her nature. Was there... really another reason?

"Roselia was definitely the most persistent one out of your family. I had to force her under my control, and even then, she still went against me occasionally," Huxley explained once he sensed my confusion, shaking his head in annoyance. "You Emersons are just as irritating as ever. But that's not the point right now." I held back a gasp as Huxley began to approach me, keeping his hands behind his back. "Don't let your guard down, Cindy," I reminded myself.

"As I was saying earlier, while Roselia chose to remain stubborn, your parents were quick to come to my side, and your cheetah friend had something to do with that," Huxley continued as he got closer and closer to me. "And I bet you had no idea that your owl and lion friends also knew what she did, but they chose to keep it from you." Huxley was a lot closer now, but instead of stopping in front of me, he stopped at my side, resting a hand on my shoulder. I was about to lift my own hand to brush it off, but Huxley squeezed my shoulder tightly, sending a wave of pain throughout my body.