TWO

"Boss," Niall's right hand man and best friend, Zayn, called, standing next to the phone. "Someone's calling for you."

"I'm busy," Niall called back, attempting to flatten a pie crust into a pan.

"It sounds important," Zayn frowned. "Someone from Payne Construction."

Niall frowned, too. Payne Construction had bought out and tore down most of the businesses on this block, and the fact that they were calling him made him uneasy. So he sighed and crossed the kitchen to the phone.

"Finish putting that pie crust in the pan, please," he said softly, and Zayn nodded. "Hello?"

"Is this Niall Horan of The Gingerbread House?" the voice on the other end of the phone asked. Niall smiled.

"Yes, this is he," Niall said, turning to see if Zayn had finished molding that pie crust.

"This is Louis Tomlinson over at Payne Construction, we'd like to make you an offer."

"Oh," Niall said, not really surprised, but not sure of what else to say.

"We're willing to let you go as high as you'd like, as long as it's not too extreme," Louis hummed, dangling the bait in front of Niall.

Niall wouldn't bite. "I'm sorry, Mr. Tomlinson, the answer will have to be no. I've invested a lot in this bakery, I'm not giving up just yet. Goodbye," Niall said, and hung up, not even waiting for Louis' response.

"What was that all about?" Zayn asked, reaching out to adjust the chef's hat on his best friend's head.

"They want to buy us out," Niall said lightly, putting a tray of scones in the oven.

"They do?" Zayn froze where he was standing. He'd taken off his chef's hat, was wringing it in his palms. "Um, what did you say, Ni?"

Niall looked over at Zayn, gaze affectionate. "Zee, we've been dreaming about this bakery since we were fourteen. There's no way I'm letting some pissy old construction worker that couldn't even call me himself take it from us."

Zayn's face brightened, and he crossed the room to gather his best friend up in his arms, and planted a sloppy kiss on Niall's left cheek.

"Zayn, ew," Niall laughed, trying to wipe it off with his shirtsleeve.

"I love you, Niall Horan, I really, truly do," Zayn laughed, kissing Niall's face all over.

"I love you, too, nerd. Knock it off, we have desserts to bake," he giggled, finally managing to fight Zayn off.

~ ~ ~
"He said no," Louis called from his desk, going to stand in Liam's doorway.

"Raise the offer," Liam said without even looking up, focused on his paperwork.

"He didn't even let me make an offer," Louis responded. "He hung up as soon as I stated that it was Payne Construction."

Liam frowned, pausing. That was new. "Hmmm..."

"Do you want me to call again tomorrow?"

"No," Liam decided, surprising both of them. "I'll head over to The Gingerbread House tomorrow myself."