ELEVEN

It'd been a few months since the kiss, and Liam and Niall were taking their relationship really, really slowly.

In fact, they hadn't even discussed whether or not it actually was a relationship. They were just sort of rolling with the punches, playing it by ear. 

"Niall," Liam said quietly. They were having a movie night at Liam's while Zayn watched Niall's kids. They were at Liam's apartment, Niall curled up in his lap.

"Mmm?" Niall was half-asleep at this point.

Liam didn't know how to word what he was feeling. His chest felt like it was full of rocks, all heavy and aching. Niall's eyelids fluttered, his lashes brushing his upper cheeks, and God, wasn't he pretty. It made Liam hate himself even more for how he'd hurt him. He'd never make that mistake again.

He'd traded this magical feeling he got when he was with Niall for fame and profit, like he'd done a thousand times before. He'd never thought about how it would hurt them -- his father told him not to care. But Zayn, Zayn making him talk to Niall, to see the pain etched on Niall's face -- it made it so much more real. Liam made a mental note to thank Zayn for that.

"I'm so sorry," Liam whispered. He was running his hand through Niall's hair, gently, as the man slept. "I was such a dick, baby. I caused you so much pain, I..." Liam squeezed his eyes shut. His self-hatred was drowning him. "You've changed me so much. I used to be this callous, cold, unfeeling person..." He bit his lip. "But you've brought warmth and affection in my life. Ni, you're so warm, so full of life, so loving...I don't deserve you. I know I don't." Liam took a shaky breath. He wasn't sure why he was saying all this when the blonde couldn't even hear him, but he needed to get it off his chest. "But now, knowing what I do, feeling how I feel about you...Niall, I don't think I could go another day without you. Every minute of loneliness, every bit of emptiness I've ever felt, Ni, you...you've fixed me." He pressed a kiss to the top of Niall's head. "I love you, Niall. I don't know if I'm in love with you yet, but I know that I love you. I know you would make it so easy to fall in love with you, too -- baby, you're so easy to love -- but I know that I love you and I don't want to remember what not loving you feels like."

Niall shifted in his lap, and Liam held his breath, hoping he hadn't heard him. But Niall slept on, and Liam let out a shaky breath of relief. 

"You have made every day since I've met you the best day of my life," Liam whispered. He leaned his head back against the back cushion and closed his eyes, drifting off to sleep.

Wide awake though eyes shut, Niall smiled.

~ ~ ~

"Are you sure about this?" Niall asked shakily. He smoothed his shirt down and then reached down and retied Isaac's shoes.

"Ni, quit it. You've retied his shoes four times in the past five minutes," Liam chuckled, picking Isaac up. Isaac leaned his head against Liam's shoulder, tiny smile on his face.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous. I'm meeting your dad," Niall stressed, making sure Sena's little shoes weren't falling off.

"Baby," Liam said firmly, taking a hold of his boyfriend's elbow. Of course, they weren't officially boyfriends, but they were more something than not. "It's going to be just fine, sweetheart. Okay? Trust me." 

It was still sort of hard for Niall to do that, but Liam had proven himself more than worthy, so Niall nodded. Liam kissed his forehead, and then pressed the door open to his father's office. Zoey clung to Niall's free hand, and they entered Geoff Payne's office.

"Liam," Geoff said, without looking up from his paperwork. Liam winced, realizing he used to be that way, too.

"Dad," Liam said back stiffly. "There's someone I'd like you to meet."

Geoff looked up finally. "This is the baker, yes? Owns the bakery you were going to buy out?"

Niall clenched his jaw. "His name is Niall Horan," Liam replied. His voice was hard. It had been so important to him for his father to meet Niall, and less than two minutes in he was regretting it. 

"Hello," Geoff said absently, focused back on his paperwork.

"Li, it's okay. Let's go," Niall said softly.

"No, damn it," Liam snarled, slamming his fist onto Geoff's desk. "He's my boyfriend, Dad. He's someone important to me, and I wanted him to meet you." Liam was so angry his hands were shaking. Surprising everyone, Isaac wiggled to be put down. He scampered around Geoff's desk and over to Liam's father. Geoff stared down at the little boy, surprised, and Isaac giggled.

"Why you got so many paper?" Isaac questioned, cocking his little head.

A smile broke out of Geoff's face. "It's my work," he explained. Isaac put his arms up to picked up, and Geoff lifted the small boy into his lap.

"Work?" Isaac questioned.

"Uh-huh. I make buildings," Geoff continued. Isaac's face lit up.

"Cool!" Geoff's face softened as Isaac straightened up to see all of the papers on his desk. Suddenly he stood with Isaac in his arms and crossed the room.

"You've got a very smart, very sweet little boy," he said to Niall.

"Th-Thank you," Niall stammered in surprise. When Geoff smiled, he looked a lot like Liam. It made Niall soften. "Your son means a lot to me."

Geoff grinned. "That's all I could ask." Then he hugged Niall, surprising everyone in the room. "Welcome to the family."

It was everything Liam had wanted, and the acceptance of his boyfriend(?) by his father made him want to cry tears of joy.