FIVE

"Oh, God," Niall gasped, unsteadily sinking to the floor.

"Ni? What's wrong?" Zayn called, making his way out of the kitchen and over to where Niall's sitting on the floor. "What happened?"

Niall just groaned, burying his face in his hands.

"Niall," Zayn said, more tensely, because he was concerned now. "Did he say something?"

Niall shook his head. "He's just..." He gestured loosely, searching for a word to describe Liam and coming up with nothing.

"Oh." Zayn nodded. "Yeah."

~ ~ ~
Later that night, Niall was getting ready to take his kids out to a restaurant because it was Isaac's birthday. Normally, the Horan family wasn't big on eating at restaurants, so when they did, it was usually a big deal.

"Are you dressed, Zo?" Niall asked, popping his head into Zoey's room.

"Yeah, Daddy," she smiled, tying her shoes. Isaac was already dressed and playing with one of his birthday presents, and Sena was perched on Niall's hip, sucking her thumb.

"Okay, kiddo. Let's go," Niall called, running a hand through Zoey's hair as they made their way to the car.

~ ~ ~
"What do you want to eat, Isaac?" Niall asked. Isaac hummed, thinking, when all of a sudden his face lit up.

"HEY!" Isaac shrieked, pointing at someone, and Niall turned, confused.

"No freaking way," Niall muttered as Liam walked toward them.

"Fancy seeing you here," Liam grinned. He leaned over to gently pinch Isaac's cheeks, making the little boy squeal.

"I'm Zoey," Zoey called, liking Liam already.

"Hi, Zoey," Liam smiled, leaning over the table to high five her.

"That's Sena," Isaac added, pointing at the baby. She clapped her little hands when he tickled her tummy.

"Hello, Niall," Liam added, a slight smirk on his face. Niall felt himself blush.

"Hi, Liam."

"My birfday!" Isaac shrieked, squirming excitedly in his seat.

"It's your birthday!?" Liam was actually surprised. "Can I sit?"

"Sit!" Isaac giggled before Niall could answer. Liam sat next to Niall, their thighs touching.

"How has your birthday been?"

"Good! Get cake!" Isaac clapped his little hands together.

"Calm down, love," Niall laughed, reaching over to smooth his hair down.

"I'll bring you a present tomorrow," Liam said. "I didn't know it was your birthday, your daddy didn't tell me."

"Daddy!" Isaac gasped, pouting at his father.

"I'm so terribly sorry," Niall said to Isaac, and then rolled his eyes at Liam.

The waitress brought Isaac's dessert a bit later, and everyone sang happy birthday to him. All Liam could think about was how pretty Niall looked in the candlelight, eyes bright blue, all soft and pink and lovely.

"Your family is lovely," Liam breathed in Niall's ear, large hand on Niall's thigh.

Niall shivered -- he can't help it -- but it makes Liam smirk, because it tells him everything he needs to know.

"Thank you," Niall chirped, blushing so hard.

Liam rubbed his hand on Niall's thigh. "I'll see you tomorrow," he whispered, giving his thigh a gentle squeeze.

Niall squeaked, squirmed a little. "Okay," he gasped, and Liam left after giving him a tiny smirk.

~ ~ ~
"I like Liam," Isaac told Niall as he tucked him in.

"I know," Niall chuckled, leaning down to kiss his son's forehead.

He rolled his eyes as he left his son's room. Clearly the whole Horan family liked Liam, and that was a problem.