TO INVEST

The drama Wen Bao mentioned was called "The Great Wall of Flesh and Blood". It was a mainstream drama set in the Republic of China that told the story of countless heroes and martyrs fighting on the front lines and behind enemy lines, building a Great Wall with flesh and blood to resist the invaders under extremely difficult conditions during the Anti-Japanese War.

Although the plot sounded very dry and looked very old-fashioned and orthodox, in terms of character image, "The Great Wall of Flesh and Blood" boldly adopted richer description methods no matter whether it was the male and female protagonists or supporting roles. The protagonist was no longer a stereotyped righteous hero, full of party constitution and discipline, and the supporting characters were no longer stereotyped 2D characters that come out of the same mold. For example, the role that the director wanted Tao Mu to audition for was Su Dingbang, an elite student who had studied abroad. This Su Dingbang was exposed to advanced ideas and knowledge while studying abroad. After returning to China, seeing his devastated motherland and the invaders who oppressed the people of China, he wanted to join the revolution and serve his motherland.

Unlike Wen Bao's character, who was a traitor in the beginning who then turned to the side of the hero, the role Tao Mu was about to audition for first appeared as a progressive young man with a particularly positive image. He was handsome, dignified, and had an extraordinary family background. He was knowledgeable, possessed ideals and hot blood and was always ready to devote himself to his ideals. He even held several student demonstrations after returning to China to protest the inaction of the Nationalist government during the war. Because his father was the president of Shanghai Commercial Bank, Su Dingyuan also used his father's relationship to secretly deliver medicine and supplies to the underground party and even acted as a cover for the underground party several times.

It was precisely because of this reason that Su Dingyuan later got acquainted with the second male lead in the drama and became the second male lead's connection.

Up to this time, Su Dingyuan's image was very positive. Until the Japanese inadvertently found out the transportation channel of the Su family used to deliver medicine for the underground party when they were investigating the underground party. The Japanese became suspicious towards Su Dingbang. But they did not make a move, but continued to investigate the actions of the Su family, and finally caught everyone as Su Dingbang was arranging for the underground party to evacuate.

Su Dingbang was imprisoned in the base camp of the enemy. There, Su Dingbang witnessed how the brutal Japanese treated the underground party. Of the original tough and brave comrades-in-arms three of them were lost in less than half a day under the torture methods of the Japanese.

When it was Su Dingbang's turn, Su Dingbang was very frightened. The hot-blooded devotion to the revolution was wiped out under witnessing the severe torture of the enemy. What was more, the Japanese also threatened Su Dingbang with the lives of the Su family.

Su Dingbang finally defected. Under the instruction of the Japanese, he sent intelligence to the second male lead who was not yet aware of what had happened, tricking the second male lead to come out for a meeting. And the meeting place was already set up by the Japanese with heavy manpower lying in ambush. As long as the second male lead came to the appointment, he would be surrounded by enemies.

In order to rescue the second male lead and the male protagonist, the chief of a police station in Shanghai, who had always been a cowardly character——the traitor played by Wen Bao wanted to inform the male protagonist and the second male lead before the Japanese succeeded in their plan. Only to be discovered by the Japanese dying tragically under the gun of the enemy.

But because of Wen Bao's tip-off, the male lead and the second male lead managed to escape in the end. However, half of the comrades they brought with them died tragically under the guns of the Japanese, or were caught by the Japanese.