Year 850 - Hell // Battle of Trost, part 1

The people's screams were covered by the sound of the cannons on top of the walls, everything was a nightmare, a nightmare that already happened five years ago. The streets were overcrowded with citizens trying to escape to the inner circle of Wall Rose, and the Garrison members were having a hard time to calm them down. Before they called her to get prepared in the HQ, Paloma managed to help Mrs. Kirstein reach the gate, being one of the first people to cross to the other side safely. The woman looked at her in the eyes and made her promise she'd survive; even if she didn't know the answer, the brunette promised she'd visit her as soon as everything was over.

The situation in the HQ wasn't good either, all the cadets were getting ready while trembling and trying to put on their ODM gears quickly. The air was dense and the tension was palpable.

"You trainees have all passed the final exercise, and now are fully capable soldiers! We expect great things from you!" One of the superior's shouted, but it seemed that no one was paying attention. None of them wanted to risk their lives outside, but it was their duty.

Eren was trying to calm down Armin, who couldn't stop trembling while loading his gas tanks. Looking around, the brunette ran towards her cousin, who hugged her like there was no tomorrow.

"You're okay Vik!?" Paloma grabbed his face and examined it. He was fine; she got scared because someone said he was working near the wall, but fortunately he didn't have any sign of being injured.

"I'm fine, don't worry. But we need to get prepared." He looked worried, the enemy wasn't made of wood, it was a real one this time. And there were going to be many of them, there was no room for mistakes, their lives were on the line now. He feared for his cousin more than anyone else, but he wasn't sure if they were going to be on the same team, making Viktor feel uneasy.

"Allard, here," Reiner approached with the girl's ODM gear in hand, and she grabbed it, looking at him seriously. "We must get ready, this is going to be tough." He was trying to play the hero again, something the brunette always hated, but she didn't say anything.

In silence, Paloma tried to think how the situation was outside. The Scouts left early that day, so the whole problem weighed on their shoulders, those freshly graduated cadets -now soldiers- were the only hope that Trost had right now. Was it scary? Definitely.

The cousins went to check on Eren and the others. Armin was still shaking and mumbling to himself, so Viktor took his friend's place and tried to talk with him, meanwhile Paloma, Mikasa and Eren talked a little far from them.

"He's really nervous, the last time we saw him like that was..." He abruptly stopped, but the girls understood immediately what he meant. The fall of Wall Maria.

"I'm sure Viktor will be able to calm him..." The brunette sighed. It was true that the situation could overcome anyone, but the blonde boy had been doubting his abilities for a long time, they completely understood his panic. Some minutes after, a more calmed Armin came besides the tall blonde, now breathing normally. It seems that Vik's words really worked. In the distance, they heard a superior calling them all to the centre of the base to receive instructions.

The trainees were lining up outside the HQ, hearing the nervous yelling of the Garrison Captain, Kitz Woermann. The instructions were clear, they were going to fight under the regimen orders, help combatants to resupply and of course, kill titans. The line up order was given too, Eren and the others would work in the middle guard led by the supply team, but the weight on their shoulders became heavier when the captain said the advance team - those in charge of keeping the titans in control - was completely wiped out.

"The outer gate has been compromised, and the titans have entered the city!" He shouted under the trainees eyes, which only showed fear. "This means the Armored Titan could show in any minute to destroy the inner gate!" They audibly gasped, and whispers could be heard in the middle of the chaos.