3 BAYLEIGH

That…felt…amazing.

         You’ve heard karma’s a bitch; well, I was that bitch. My body felt alive and electric as victory radiated from me. I finally got that smug bastard back for knocking me down on the trail. Seeing his shocked face as I deliberately let the elevator doors shut was so satisfying. You don’t want to apologize Sam Jessup, well game on asshole. I dropped my backpack on my bed and headed into the kitchen. As I walked to the refrigerator, I noticed a note taped to it, with what looked like one hundred and forty dollars. I snatched the note and the money from the fridge and read it:

Pizza and gas. Keep your pepper spray on you and no boys over. This means Ethan.

          I chuckled to myself as I pocketed the money and began dialing Ethan’s number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m a little nervously honestly” Ethan said, as we lay across my bed.

“Why?” I giggled, as he ran his fingers over my erect nipples, poking through his jersey.

I let out a breath of contentment.

“Well, I mean it’s college. Playing football for Ithaca is pretty big” Ethan explained.

“I get that, but it’s not like it’s NYU” I said.

“So, you’re not nervous about USC?” he asked.

I shrugged.

“So, what’s going to happen with us?” Ethan asked.

“Can we just cross that bridge when we get to it?” I suggested.

“Can I cross your bridge?” he smiled, leaning into the crook of my neck.

“Down boy good things are worth waiting for” I said.

“True but the anticipation is killing me” he groaned.

I smiled.

Ethan smiled, before leaning in and kissing me passionately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are…you…fucking…kidding me?

         It was three in the morning and some jack knocker was playing an electric guitar at full volume. It was a school night and I literally had to be up for my run in two and a half hours. I laid there looking up into the darkness, listening to every chord and every riff. As close as it sounded, I could tell it was the new neighbors. Great, I was praying the new neighbors would be peaceful, but no, whoever it was was an inconsiderate douchebag. Ethan lay next to me sound asleep and unbothered. Jesus can this guy sleep through a nuclear attack? I hopped up, slid on a pair lounge pants over my underwear and pulled on Ethan’s hoodie. I finger combed my hair, and then headed out of the room.

          Now here I was standing in front of Apartment 1402, listening to guitar music blare from behind the door. I took an exasperated breath before raising my right fist and knocking on the door. The guitar music continued, so I knocked a little harder. Finally, after a few moments the guitar stopped. I looked back at my door as I waited.

“Doll?”

The name made me cringe and set my teeth on edge. I turned to see Sam standing in the doorway of the apartment. His hair was pulled back in a mid-bun, and he was dressed in what looked like only a black bath robe. Around his body was a bright red strap attached to a sparkling black electric guitar that was on his back, and in his mouth was a lit cigarette.