| 01 |

Only Left With Accusation

‘If today I run away, then tomorrow who will ensure my peace?’

These words by the second prince have compelled the old king to find comfort in the darkness. Nowadays his side of the bed was always cold, while the other was warm. Where his past slept. In gloomy silence, his body would be left cold, devoid of touch and accelerating heart, shivering lips lost in the search. He had closed every door around him, to be concealed in darkness.

Not letting the light of day meet the shadow of his past.

Wasn't it he who was to be punished?

Then why his son?

Chitrāngada was given a chance to return. But, alone. So he refused to run away leaving his men. And all negotiations failed.

The only one who could change it was crowned Prince Adyānt.

But he refused.

‘Going to leave?’

‘Hm.’

‘But Rājakumāra Chitrāngada-’

‘He wants peace and I can’t give him. So as long as he wants he can reside there. I have no say.’ Adyānt fingers brushed through Vardhman's cheeks and his eyes looked into his. Nodding at him.

Jeṣṭhaḥ life is in danger. And you plan to have a trade treaty?’

‘No choice—' the sounds of stompings feet hit his ears before he could reply he saw their mother entering his chamber.

He moved and touched her feet.

'Praṇām Maa.’

‘I heard you are going to Umeshnāgara.'

‘Traders of our territory can’t have direct trade through the ocean, as larger land belongs to them. So endeavouring if they could lend a little piece of land for trading purposes.'

‘When your own house gets flooded you don’t seek refuge in water.’

‘Maa.’

Mura pursed her lips, looking at his youngest son a faint gleam appeared in her eyes but soon it disappeared as she saw the sacred thread in her fist. Not disturbing the silence she held Adyant wrist tying it around.

‘You both didn't share the same womb. Regardless, I hope you know that Chitrāngada holds the same rights as you.’

'But—' Before he could say anything she left again.  Like always without hearing him, leaving his chamber again in the grim stillness.

He sat on his bed and held his forehead but sensing his brother's presence he questioned him yearning to be left alone.

‘Don't you have your duties to perform?’

‘I do.’

‘Do them, otherwise, I am going to forget your monthly allowance.’

For the first few minutes, he stooped down near the corner of his bed. Playing his head on it he missed the warmth he missed during his childhood. Having wanted to be held.

A place where he could hide his face and cry but now his eyes are moist but they never damp his cheeks. He waits to feel a warm touch or anything. But nothing comes. He saw the falling rays in his room bring him back to sense.