Fireflies

"How could you agree to go out on a date with him?" Steven exclaimed.

Hannah let out a sigh as she walked past him to get to her purse. She had put on a blue evening dress and pinned her waves back with a matching jeweled barrette. "Why not? Wouldn't Jason want more information? Plus, I have a suspicion that his secretary is hiding something, or maybe could be a genie herself. If I can work my charms and get some information, I will be able to give Jason more."

"But that's not fair!" blurted Nate. Hannah's and Steven's youngest brothers, Christopher and Nate, had also joined them in Hannah's room. "You always get the good ones."

Christopher scoffed. "That's because she's a woman. Most of those rich guys like pretty women."

Steven huffed. "That's definitely true." He wagged his finger at the boys. "Which is why I insist you two go with her."

"What?" chorused Christopher and Nate.

"Steven!" said Hannah.

"I mean it! Young lady, they should go with you. They'll be able to help you keep an eye on the place. The NeverStar is a family friendly establishment, or so I've heard." Steven mumbled the last part.

Hannah narrowed her eyes at him. "There's something else, isn't there?"

Steven cleared his throat and adjusted his tie. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Karen walked in at that moment, and gasped. "Steven! You haven't told them yet?"

"Now Karen ..."

"Stuff and nonsense, Steven. All the others know, why are you keeping them in the dark?"

"I, uh ..."

Karen sighed and tsked. "Some days I wonder about you." She turned to his younger siblings. "Gideon Starr, the owner of NeverStar, and his family are all genies, and Jason has it on good authority that they are loyal to the king."

Hannah's mouth dropped as she turned from Karen to Steven. "What?"

"You seriously thought that wasn't important to tell us?" Christopher exclaimed, turning to his brother with a stern look as he crossed his arms.

Nate tsked, mimicking Karen. "Karen's right, some days I wonder about you."

Steven threw up his hands. "I figured you wouldn't pressure yourselves into masking your presences, making it a bit more obvious that you are genies."

"Oh, um, that is a good point ..." began Christopher, rubbing his chin.

"But to go in unaware that the building is owned by some of our enemies will prompt them to keep their eyes and ears open," said Karen. "None of us have ever stepped foot into the NeverStar before. This could be their best chance at finding out who the king is."

"Oh, that is even more excellent of a point," said Christopher.

"Oh so agree," quipped Nate.

Hannah crossed her arms. "Of course it is, that's supposed to be our job."

Steven gritted his teeth. "I don't want to lose you like we lost Mom and Dad, alright?"

Hannah sighed and gave him a quick hug. "Hey, if we stick together, we'll be fine."

"Though, I am a little more concerned about how to convince Mr. Bleu to take us with them," said Christopher as he snapped his fingers. He had changed outfits and was now wearing a black and grey suit.

Nate sighed and snapped his fingers as well, he was wearing a black suit. "Yeah, I mean, it's obvious we're both over eighteen and won't be able to use the excuse that we have to go because we're underage and can't be left at home alone."