ACT TWO | Sneak Peak

Though you all will see the cover and know the synopsis for book 2 in the series soon, there is no harm in letting you read a teaser. 

...

"Christian," Aiden sang waving a hand in his face. 

The other boy had a puzzled expression on his face. He had been calling Christian for the past few minutes only to get no response. He was too busy trying not to panic about arriving at the basketball game late. They had five minutes to spare and still weren't in town yet. Finally, a clap snapped him out of his thoughts. Christian smiled and got ready to give Aiden his full attention. However, that was cut short when the sound of a horse made its way to his ears.

It was an abrupt neigh followed by trotting right near his ear. Christian made a quick turn around only to see that there was nothing there, just the empty gas station.

"Wait, did you hear it too?" Aiden panicked.

Christian paused. Of course, he heard it. It sounded as if it was right there behind him and then vanished. Aiden looked around much more frantically, his worried expression deepening. 

"You've never heard it before," Aiden mumbled to himself. Christian barely understood what he was saying. The trotting continued, this time louder.

Before it sounded as if the horse was behind them but now it was as if it was galloping within Christian's skull.

He could have sworn he saw the shadows of the car bend and move almost as if it were being pulled and pushed by something. Aiden ripped the pump out of the tank and slammed it shut. The galloping didn't cease, instead, it bounced around the emptiness, coming from every which direction, too difficult to pinpoint. 

"We should leave," Aiden said, his face stained with fear. He screamed for Christian to get into the car, the boy barely able to hear him over the noise. In mere seconds the wind picked up, circling around the two and threatening to pick them off the ground. Leaves and trash swept up tossed around and banged against the car. Christian covered his face, his arms stinging from the tiny rocks that repeatedly beat against them. 

He rushed to the front of the car, grabbing hold of the handle before looking up to see a long, thick rope cut through the air and slam against the side of Aiden's neck. It made three loops before constricting around his windpipe. He coughed, choking from the abrupt pressure slamming him to the ground.

Christian froze, eyes following the rope, watching it end at the hands of a figure; one that was not human, or at least no longer was. It had rancid black decomposed skin revealing dirt, flesh, and bits of bone all over. Its form barely clung together, disappearing and reappearing as if it were a shadow afraid of the light. Its clothes, nothing but a greyish hood, were ripped and barely clung to its body. The face had to have been the worst part. Under the jet-black spaghetti strands on top of its head were hollow, soulless eyes, a missing nose and an exposed jaw barely hanging on with missing teeth. 

The figure cackled maniacally, dragging Aiden closer to its feet.